British TV disappears for many viewers as satellite range decreases to focus on UK

Started by Janet, Thu 6 Feb 2014, 09:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

British satellite dish viewers here, throughout Spain, and indeed through Europe, are finding that they've lost BBC and ITV channels this morning after Sky and Freesat transmissions were moved overnight to a new satellite with a smaller transmission range. This "footprint"  is the result of the new Astra 2E satellite, which replaces the Astra 1N, and which has a tighter beam on the UK. Viewers in some places outside the UK will actually get a better signal under the new satellite, but the majority of satellite users will no longer be able to pick up their UK television.

The BBC said that since the BBC's services were for licence payers only, the corporation was neither responsible for, nor interested in, supplying television beyond the UK. ITV and Channel 4 still have to switch to the new satellite but are expected to do so soon. There are many suppliers here of "systems" to provide British TV, and it is , of course, widely available through the internet. Offers to provide a service to replace the missing satellite signal are not likely to be in short supply. JA

minesadorada

phew! My 'La Gomera' rebroadcast BBC signal is still OK.   T'internet here is a pathetic 0.8MBit here, so online streaming is out of the question.

Of course the E.U. funded fibre optic 100MBit line goes right past my house, but what are the chances of it ever being connected by Movistar beyond Santa Cruz?  :banghead:

poker

Yes the comunety lost bbc with us . Still Itv , ch4 and 5 .
Luckely for us  I put a dish of my own and have all the Belgium , Dutch channels .

Janet

Nova

Damn, you mean my new satellite television has been rendered useless before I even have it??  :(
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

:-X

I'm sure communities will find a way to provide the system ... and all the owners will get a choice ... :D

Delderek

Quote from: Nova on Thu  6 Feb 2014, 18:06
Damn, you mean my new satellite television has been rendered useless before I even have it??  :(

Yup, have you tried tiddlywinks lately :cheesy:

Perikles

During the past week I have had the unfortunate opportunity to see BBC1 BBC2 ITV and one or two others. I haven't seen these for a couple of decades. Can anybody tell me if they have always been total crap, and I didn't notice 20 years ago, or whether they have degenerated into pointless competitions about food and soap operas about people who are congenitally miserable and stupid?  :33: :33: :33: (Those are TV sets in the smileys)

Michael

Quote from: Perikles on Fri  7 Feb 2014, 11:22
During the past week I have had the unfortunate opportunity to see BBC1 BBC2 ITV and one or two others. I haven't seen these for a couple of decades. Can anybody tell me if they have always been total crap, and I didn't notice 20 years ago, or whether they have degenerated into pointless competitions about food and soap operas about people who are congenitally miserable and stupid?  :33: :33: :33: (Those are TV sets in the smileys)

You left out the plethora of talent shows full of people with no discernable talent and shows like Big Brother which allow people to sit in a room and watch other people sitting in a room on TV.  ::)
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Guanche

For some reason, probably because its winter and I don't spend much time outside, I have been watching UK TV on 'Filmon' So I have to ask what exactly does the BBC spent the TV tax on? Just checked from 12 noon to 6pm there are 16 programs. Three are news items, one is the start of the winter Olympics. of the remaining twelve seven are repeats. Of the remaining five two are quiz's, three are sort of antique thingy's and one is general intrest.