Education minister Wert gets rough reception in Tenerife at reopening of La Laguna cathedral

Started by Janet, Sun 26 Jan 2014, 16:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

For those who don't know about the "Wert law", it's an education reform by the governing conservative (PP) party that would put religion back into the curriculum and increase state funding for schools that segregate the sexes.

José Ignacio Wert is the minister of education (hence "Wert law"), but his ministerial portfolio is "education, culture and sport", and as culture minister he was in Tenerife yesterday for the reopening of the newly renovated cathedral in La Laguna.

Here is a video of the most significant parts of the protest against his education role that awaited him ...

Guanche

Sadly a proper and worthy demonstration disrupted by 'Anarchist' You could see the same 'type' at almost every demonstration in the world. I've come head to head with them more than once. They do the public no favors.

As for the subject of the protest 'Werts Law' has this plonker nothing better to do? Obviously not! The question that comes to my mind is. What will be the reaction of the Catholic church and the religious zealots in the PP party (of which there seems to be quite a few) be when they find out the may have to teach about diffrent faiths? With so many problems in Spain one would think they would look at the bigger picture.

On a similar note, thinking about the small things. We can all breathe a sigh of relief as its announced that the tax on buying art work is to be cut from 21% down to 10%. I am sure this is a large weight off the minds of many Spanish family's who are presently living on €450 and month or those living on fresh air! The will no doubt be queuing at art gallery's around Spain on Monday morning to snap up a great deal to hang on their walls........ just before there repossessed!

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 16:40it's an education reform by the governing conservative (PP) party that would put religion back into the curriculum

Well, I for one am for religious indoctrination in schools. However they teach it, it will make the subject important, and it is important given that just about all trouble in the world is caused by religious morons. Let them learn about it and hopefully a few will actually think about it, which is all for the good.

El Profesor

Quote from: Guanche on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 17:30
  . . . . . . . disrupted by 'Anarchists' You could see the same 'type' at almost every demonstration in the world.. . . . . . .

I don't see anarchists. I see students.
That's what happens when someone like Wert goes to a university town.

Guanche

Quote from: Prof on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 22:23
That's what happens when someone like Wert goes to a university town.

I see violent and aggressive behavior by a minority in a largely peaceful but noisy demonstration. If it happens that they are students does that alter anything? Having faced these types at hunt meetings, riots and other public order events I can say with some certainty that there will be anarchists amongst them.

Perikles

Quote from: Prof on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 22:23

They are not exclusive. I used to be a member of the undergraduates anarchist club. They spent most of the time arguing about how illogical it was to have a chairman and secretary. Absolutely hilarious.  :cheesy:

Off-topic: They organised a fleet of white bicycles free for students to use, on the principle that property was theft. You just took a bicycle and used it and left it where you wanted. Within a week there were no servicable bicycles available. Some were miles away in ditches, some in rivers, others with punctures (because if you had a puncture, you just dumped the bike and got another one, although you were supposed to mend the puncture). An absolutely brilliant experiment to demonstrate that anarchy didn't work, but mysteriously it didn't seem to dampen their enthusiasm.  :rofl:

Guanche

I am a tad unsympathetic to these types as I have a three inch scar on my right leg and one on my right wrist thanks to the handy work of one of these types. We always knew there was going to be trouble by the attendance of a large number of photographers. They had one goal, to provoke nothing more.
I have to take my hat off to the Police officer confronted by the 'student' in the 7th min and the 'student' in the 13th min.

Janet

The trouble is that when the police, who might be privately sympathetic to protesters' aims, are used by the state to protect it, rather than to enter dialogue, or rule by consensus rather than sheer force (i.e. anti-democratically), then this sort of confrontation is inevitable. It doesn't take anarchists to make the public bloody angry ... I tell you I could hit anyone, policeman or not, right now when considering the new abortion law. No bloody "terrorist" stirring up necessary.

Guanche

So your saying the police should not be used by the state for their bodily protection and to keep the peace? I can only wonder what would have happened to this lawfully elected member of the Spanish Parliament had the police not been there. Had this man been left bleeding in the street because some people didn't like what he says what would it say about democracy? The minority over ruling the majority by force. Isn't that mob rule?

We (well most of the civilized world) allow the Police to police us, the police police by public consent. We all agree to them being there to maintain the peace, someone has to. Or are they only allowed to protect those who who we agree with. What about the people who agree with this mans views ? Do they also have the right to do as the people in this video do?

This Spanish government is lawfully elected by the public going to the polls. The majority of those people voted for this shower that's tough luck and more the fools them. But are we saying that because a minority don't like how they are governed they should be allowed to over throw the majority's decision and do as they wish, use violence cause damage and disturb the peace? And no one should be there to prevent that social disorder, and whoever does stand between the two groups is fair game for attack?

This are my somewhat chaotic views  :-[ as a member of the public as I always have been and not as a retired policeman. I do not agree with this man I do not agree with the anti abortion law. I have a passionate hatred for the EU and all things Brussels, but would I use violence to get my message across, never.

We seem to be at odds again Janet, but its good to talk  :):hug:

Janet

:D

No, I'm not saying that, but I am saying that police should not be used to help the state act in an authoritarian and undemocratic way, which is what is increasingly happening in Spain. Given the opposition to more than one law at present, it would behove a democratically elected government to listen, and discuss, not impose laws in the clear opposition of the people who elected it. Protest is an integral part of a democracy. Listening should be too, and when it comes to abortion and education laws, it's seemingly not a minority who oppose them.