News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Young Russian missing in Masca barranco

Started by Janet, Sun 19 Jan 2014, 17:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Search and rescue teams are currently in action in Masca barranco after a 17-year-old Russian youth was reported missing by his family earlier today. Presently involved are Guardia Civil, GES, Bomberos and guardias de caza (security and protection agents for hunting areas).  JA

Janet

The search for this young walker has resumed this morning, with GES, Bomberos and Guardia Civil again meeting in Masca. Last evening before it became dark they had managed to get down to the coast without any sign of him. JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I take it there are no details otherwise you would have reported them but surmise he told somebody he was going to walk in the Masca barranco all by himself and left.  And nobody told him it was not a good idea.  What is it with people?  You know, he could even have told them that then hightailed it off to Los Cristianos to party for the weekend.

We saw the Gobierno helicopter flying south from the direction of Masca, passing PSJ around 10.40 this morning.

Janet

The inferences I'm picking up, and they're no more than that, are that he was actually part of a group walking the barranco together. How he might have become separated from them I have no idea, nor why they might not have noticed until his parents reported him missing when he didn't return home ...

It's a bit of a mystery ...

Janet

There'll be further details later, I'm sure, but this young walker has been found alive and well this afternoon. A passing boat appears to have spotted him making signals in the barranco Seco area near the Los Gigantes cliffs. A GES helicopter rescued him because access by foot was very difficult. He was flown to the Adeje heliport, and from there transferred to Hospiten Sur where he is said to be fine, and suffering only from minor injuries. JA