Well-known sportsman missing in Las Cañadas

Started by Janet, Sat 4 Jan 2014, 09:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Quote from: Nova on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 14:41
Surely the signal can still be detected though? iPhones have inbuilt gps and location tracking  :017:

That's precisely what I was thinking.

I know it's too late for this poor sod, but if I went for a dander in Tenerife, or anywhere else for that manner, could you track me Nova?  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Perikles

Quote from: Nova on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 14:41
Surely the signal can still be detected though?  iPhones have inbuilt gps and location tracking  :017:

I think Myrtle's OH said this didn't work up in Teide - no phone coverage, no tracking.  :017:

Nova

I dont know how much the iphone's gps depends on having network coverage, but assuming it works as my iphone's compass works without network coverage, i should think so  It isn't easy unless you're a hacker or have access to the mobile network triangulation wotsits (to use the technical term :p) but if you have the find my iPhone app installed and you give me your password it should be easy  :D
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Quote from: Nova on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 14:57
I dont know how much the iphone's gps depends on having network coverage, but assuming it works as my iphone's compass works without network coverage, i should think so  It isn't easy unless you're a hacker or have access to the mobile network triangulation wotsits (to use the technical term :p) but if you have the find my iPhone app installed and you give me your password it should be easy  :D

Even if you can find out where you are, how does anybody else find out where you are without coverage?

Nova

Ok yes, I've just put my iPhone on airplane mode and find my iPhone could no longer see it. As for triangulation of the mobile phone signal, I guess that depends on coverage as well, doesn't it?  Hmmm  :017:

—————

Janet

Yesterday's search could not have been more intensive, but it resumes today with Victor still missing. Tenerife President Carlos Alonso offered encouragement to professionals and volunteers, and published the above photo to show the conditions they are sometimes working in. JA

Janet

Unhappily, the search for Victor will be called off at the end of today. The hard decision was taken after a meeting of all the forces involved in the rescue effort. This is now the 12th day of searching, and Victor has been missing, as of tomorrow, for a fortnight. From now, security forces will continue their investigation following the report of his disappearance, as is routine with any denuncia for a missing person, but the active search will end at dusk today.

The Canarian government thanked all the teams and volunteers who have spent the last week and a half looking for Victor: Guardia Civil, Grupo de Emergencias y Salvamento, Unidad Militar de Emergencias, Ejército de Tierra, Bomberos Tenerife, AEA, Cruz Roja, Protección Civil de Candelaria y La Laguna, Federación Tinerfeña de Montañismo, Parque Nacional del Teide, Teleférico, Parador Nacional del Teide, Guardas de Caza and the Cabildo's environment department. JA

Nova

I hate to be the one to ask this, but would so many organisations have participated and would the search have been as intensive and as lengthy if the missing person had been an ordinary Joe instead of a "well-known sportsman"?  :-X

—————

Perikles

Quote from: Nova on Mon 13 Jan 2014, 17:26
I hate to be the one to ask this, but would so many organisations have participated and would the search have been as intensive and as lengthy if the missing person had been an ordinary Joe instead of a "well-known sportsman"?  :-X

Good question - I guess that the size of the search party very much depends on the number of friends and contacts you have. He probably had the maximum possible number of useful contacts. That's life. Or not.