News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Well-known sportsman missing in Las Cañadas

Started by Janet, Sat 4 Jan 2014, 09:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Tenerife president Carlos Alonso has confirmed that for safety reasons the search for Víctor will not be resumed until the Teide access roads are reopened, but that it is top priority as soon as they are. President Alonso said that the Cabildo was in direct contact with the family and all emergency and search teams involved in trying to find him. He also made particular reference to volunteers who have swelled the numbers considerably, and who, he said, were experts in the specific terrain in question. Assuming the access roads are reopened this weekend, the area to be searched will be expanded, to include:

Zona A: Chinyero volcano
Zona B: Chinyero to Piedra de Los Pastores
Zona C: La Orotava caldera and general area to boundary of national park
Zona D: Arafo to La Crucita
Zona E: Anocheza trail
Zona F: Izaña to Barranco del Río
Zona G: Vilaflor to Barranco del Río.

JA

Guanche

I suspect that the weather has little to do with the search being suspended. I sadly think they have come to the realization that its a recovery mission now. No point in putting searchers into more danger than is necessery. I hope not but...... :undecided:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Concluded the same several days ago.  Still very sad and I do not even know the man.

Janet

Another day of intensive searching has ended without finding Victor. The Guardia Civil say that 245 official searchers with 49 mountaineer volunteers plus tens of others took part in todays effort. The army is involved, the Red Cross, AEA (Ayuda en emergencias Anaga), GES search and rescue, Guardia Civil land teams, helicopters, dogs ... . The search will resume tomorrow morning.

112-Canarias has released this picture of today's search.

(Myrtle ... the helicopter photos were great but when reduced just didn't convey too much, and then 112 released the above photo. Thank you though!  :) )

Marion

Surely with technology it would be possible to create a very small, light and cheap device to signal position (they probably are in existence already) and insist that all dangerous and extreme sportsmen carry these. He could have easily be found if he was carrying something like this and possibly have been saved.

Janet

We were talking about this yesterday. Apparently such a device exists, but is restricted to sea-going vessels ...  :undecided:

Michael

Can't that be done with an iPhone?  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

Nova

Surely the signal can still be detected though?  iPhones have inbuilt gps and location tracking  :017:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial