News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Well-known sportsman missing in Las Cañadas

Started by Janet, Sat 4 Jan 2014, 09:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I think ordinary Joe would have had the same effort, given the time of year (season of goodwill).  I cannot have hurt that Victor's friends and family agitated for such a response.  I do not know Victor but seeing all the people out looking for him the other day really tugged at my heartstrings. 

I rather think that a 70-something German with a history of getting lost would not have engendered such a response. 

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Mon 13 Jan 2014, 18:28I cannot have hurt that Victor's friends and family agitated for such a response. 

Wot?  :017:

Michael

Quote from: Marion on Sun 12 Jan 2014, 12:10
Surely with technology it would be possible to create a very small, light and cheap device to signal position (they probably are in existence already) and insist that all dangerous and extreme sportsmen carry these. He could have easily be found if he was carrying something like this and possibly have been saved.

A quick search on Ebay found this. £157 and there are shedloads of different types.

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

Despite the search being officially called off yesterday, the Guardia Civil says the force itself will continue a constant and minute search for Victor in the Teide area. The investigation into his disappearance remains open, and despite some reports that the investigation might be a "criminal" one, police say that this is not correct and that they are working on the assumption that his disappearance was accidental. Today, the Grupo Rural de Seguridad has been combing the area, and their efforts will be augmented by the arrival of two dogs trained specifically in searching for people missing in mountain areas.  JA

Marion

Quote from: Michael on Mon 13 Jan 2014, 18:37
A quick search on Ebay found this. £157 and there are shedloads of different types.

This is ok if you are in a state to be able to turn it on to signal you are in distress. I would image it would be easy to have something that transmits say every 5 minutes when you are engaged in some kind of sport to enable searchers to find you if you have fallen down a mountain or have been buried in an avalanche.

Perikles

Sorry, no specific news, but this might help things in the future, searching difficult barrancos for insane middle-aged Germans.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

And just why would anyone want to find an insane middle-aged German?

Janet

The search has continued over the last three weeks with friends, fellow athletes and Guardia Civil combing the Las Cañadas caldera, but tonight, journalist Félix Rojas has said on Mírame TV that the search will now shift to El Tanque and the Santiago del Teide area. It seems that the last signal from Victor's mobile came from that area. There are some questions as to whether time has been lost searching in the wrong area.  JA

Guanche

:017: One can only hope they know what their doing?

Janet

well as Perikles said earlier, how come it's taken so long to establish the last mobile signal? Or is there something new that is not being reported??  :017: