Tenerife to lead new “EU Sky Route” astrotourism project, a key “niche market”

Started by Perikles, Fri 3 Jan 2014, 07:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Perikles

Identical information everywhere, e.g. Canarias24horas about the development of tourism connected somehow with astronomy. Extremely vague political waffle, but the quality of the night sky in the Canaries is at last being exploited for tourism.

The islands might see the arrival of boatloads of geeks with unusual bodyclocks, and it's bad news for the sellers of sunglasses.

Janet

they have been saying for a while now that they want to exploit niche markets, particularly upmarket niche markets, and that they see astrotourism as a major one of these given the night sky here ...

as long as you're not staying in Torviscas or the like, of course ...

Janet

I've posted before about the Canarian government's "up-market tourism" drive, and how part of this is directed to niche markets, whether walking, windsurfing, gastronomy, and the like. I've also mentioned astrotourism, which Tenerife understandably places in high priority because of the observatories here and in La Palma, and the wonderfully clear night sky. Now, Tenerife's own tourism authorities have scored a huge victory, with the Cabildo designated as leader of the "EU Sky Route",  a European project to create astrotourism in different parts of Europe particularly suited to study of the night sky.

The Cabildo says that it will head a group of seven other authorities located in Poland, Italy (2 members), Portugal, Bulgaria, Greece and Spain (Catalonia and Extremadura). Tenerife president Carlos Alonso said that taking part in such a pioneering project would bring many new opportunities for Tenerife's tourism, and therefore for Tenerife's economy and employment prospects generally. President Alonso stressed that Tenerife's night sky was of an incredible internationally-renowned clarity and quality, and offered unique advantages which would benefit tourism, and allow an expansion into the government's "niche markets", an alternative to Tenerife's traditional "sun and sand" holidays.

Brussels will be funding the project, and it will involve not only tourism or astronomical authorities, but also social and economic businesses and institutions. The first meeting of the project will be held in Tenerife at the end of this month to start to establish the different activities which can be developed to create "astronomy routes". The scheme is expected to be fully in place within 18 months. JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Guanche

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Fri  3 Jan 2014, 13:45
What a lovely boondoggle for those on the committee.

Have to agree Myrtle. But with Brussels footing the bill for all the business class travel, 5 star hotels and food, transport cost, out of pocket expenses and anything else that can be screwed out of the thing. It will be a nice little earner for a few.
I mean just look at the countries involved. its an invitation for the political types to fill their pockets! I wonder what the budget is?
For the life of me I just can't see what they are going to achieve? an advert, a poster? Are they going to rent out telescopes? Anyone in the world who's in to Astronomy must already know about the Canaries, yes? As Myrtle says a very nice boondoggle for some!

Or am I missing something :undecided:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

You are so right Guanche and we are just about soul mates.

What will Delderek say?   ;)

Guanche

Just whizzed off a few e-mails to the EU to see if I can find out what the budget is for this 'Committee' They promise to reply within 7 working days :whistle:

Guanche

As expected no reply! Going to try a diffrent route, not giving up yet.

Guanche

I think we're being watched! As if by magic I just received an email from old Oliver Juvyns who thanked me for my interest and has passed my request on to the Directorate-General for Enterprise and industry. A result in its self so watch this space.

Guanche

Well it would seem my old mate Juvyns from the EU is like a dog with a bone, my type of man :great: He's just e-mailed me to say that, after an extensive search he and his Colleagues could find no EU project or funding for 'EU Sky Route' or 'Astro Tourism'. The plot thickens me thinks! He isn't giving up and asks for more info. So Janet, sorry, but did the article you read say any more? It would seem that having the chaps name Carlos Alonso and the countries involved isn't enough :)