Mass electricity “switch-off” at 6pm tonight: will you take part to send a message about price?

Started by Janet, Mon 30 Dec 2013, 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

I guess...  :undecided:

This is the point, though. There was a time when electricity was "cheap" here. Now it's virtually the same as the UK ... and on Canarian wages that's a hell of a hike.

Perikles

Quote from: Delderek on Mon 30 Dec 2013, 21:41
Your unit price is not that much different to what I pay, which is 13.1p. but presumably you guys would use a lot less than us.

That's an interesting question. As Janet points out, wages are far lower here, so electricity is relatively expensive. Now assuming that people are not insane enough to use electricity directly for central heating, why would we use a lot less than in the UK?

By the way, privately I do think that even at this price, electricity is a really cheap commodity considering how spectacular its contribution to living standards is.

El Profesor

Delderek

Quote from: Perikles on Tue 31 Dec 2013, 07:56
That's an interesting question. As Janet points out, wages are far lower here, so electricity is relatively expensive. Now assuming that people are not insane enough to use electricity directly for central heating, why would we use a lot less than in the UK?

By the way, privately I do think that even at this price, electricity is a really cheap commodity considering how spectacular its contribution to living standards is.

Thinking about it, probably not much less, if any. You do have longer daylight hours so that would be a small saving, but would be more than offset by Electric water heating.

minesadorada

We had 3 short power cuts yesterday between 6pm and 7pm.  I wonder if there was some connection (geddit?) with the boycott?

Janet

yes, ditto, this was why we turned it off around 6.45 ourselves. We too thought there would be a connection  ... :D

Guanche

Well we turned off apart from the fridge which the wife wouldn't turn off! The consequence was I couldn't get back on the bloody internet for most of the evening!!

Anyway just for fun, why don't we have a competition on who can reduce their bill in the next two months. I've just paid ours for the last two months and it was €101.87 (our last house where we had a swimming pool and we wern't careful was about €50 every two months. That was just over 7 years ago)

I assume we get bills at more or less the same time? So post your most recent bill here and we'll come back in two months and see who is green and who is not :great:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Guanche are you trying to get me wound up?    :giggle: :giggle:

I can post the amount in euros by checking the bank account but have to go around to Adeje to get that nice woman to print me my latest bill since Endesa won't let me see them online.

Guanche

Euros will do Myrtle :) most of the time I only know what the bill is by the amount they take out of the bank! as half the time I don't get a bill through the post, haven't got one this month. I just couldn't face trying to get it on line :banghead:
This year its generally been around, after they changed it back to bimonthly, €90 a bill.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

On 24/12 they charged us 216.63€. 
On 18/10 they charged us 135.28€. 

The solar water heater was installed 28/10.