News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Mass electricity “switch-off” at 6pm tonight: will you take part to send a message about price?

Started by Janet, Mon 30 Dec 2013, 11:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

The consumer group Facua-Consumidores en Acción has called for a nationwide switch-off tonight at 6pm Canarian time (7pm on the mainland)  to show the electricity companies what can be done with mass protest – and how their profits can be affected if we act together. Facua has asked everyone to come together and turn all electrical appliances off for one hour to send a clear message that electricity price rises cannot continue.

Already, electricity prices have risen 78% over the last ten years, and from March, there seem set to be monthly rises. We already know that the electricity companies had their eyes on an 11% rise for the new year, even though the government refused that, recognizing it was politically suicidal. The rises might yet even out at 11% though, if they are allowed to go up on a monthly basis. Let's show them we're not that stupid ...

I'll be turning everything off for an hour at 6pm tonight. Will you? JA

edit: Anyone who's sharing the mass switch-off protest on social media should use #apagón30D to help focus the dissemination.

Delderek

A mass switch off may get a reaction, although I doubt it. But what would worry me is the related Mass switch on. Unless the generating stations are ready for it, the knock on effect could be like shooting yourself in the foot.

Janet

I make no comment, but simply reproduce the following from FACUA : the link below is to a document detailing all electricity price rises since 1993 - 20 years' worth. They also say -

Elena Salgado, former economy minister, was taken on by Endesa months after leaving office.

José María Aznar, former Prime Minister, who started "electricity liberalisation". Today he is in Endesa's pay.

Pedro Solbes, former economy minister, today works for Enel, one of the largest power companies in Europe with connections to Endesa.

Ángel Acebes, former minister, today a member of the executive commission of Iberdrola, a Spanish private multinational electric company.

Luis de Guindos, current economy minister, worked for Endesa in 2011 at a salary of €368,000 ...

here's the link to the doc:

:link:

Guanche

That's fairly disgusting but not suprising! to be honest is it any diffrent in the UK?

poker

Same in Belgium ex. ministers all over in the bigg companys after their therms . . . . .

Nova

Are people switching off their fridge/freezers as well?  :undecided:

And will the switch-off contribution count of some residents in an apartment block if the neighbours don't join in?
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

I don't think an hour will harm a FF ... and I think the consumption will go down even if only one person in a block switches off ...

Nova

Ok, I'm switched off - I've just pulled the master trip switch in the hall  :tiphat:

—————

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

The protest was only brought to my attention by Perikles about 10 minutes ago as I've been out all day.  He phoned to see if we had power, as they don't.  The power mysteriously went off just before 18.00, although as we spoke the street lights in their area came on.  He suspects the power company cut the power in anticipation of the protest to guard against the effects of a sudden drop in consumption as well as the sudden surge when people switch back on.  When he called, by the way, I had just switched on the outside Xmas lights so if anyone on my street is taking the protest seriously they'll think I'm a real wally. 

Please report in if you have power or have observed the protest, either yourself or on your street.  Of course we know Nova's in the dark, voluntarily, and J&P involuntarily, and I'm violating a protest. 

Surely there will be more anon once power returns to affected areas.

Nova

No power cut round here, the street lights are on as are the Christmas lights in the street, the neighbours, shops and restaurants all have power.  I think Endesa has targeted the area where Janet lives  :whistle:

By the way I'm connected through my iPhone tethered to my laptop which is running on battery  :great:

—————