News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Plans emerge for the transformation of La Caleta into a new – and very upmarket – Puerto Colon

Started by Janet, Tue 19 Nov 2013, 09:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

If all goes to plan, the La Enramada area of La Caleta in Adeje will have a sports harbour within a few years. Ashotel, business leaders (Círculo de Empresarios del Sur - CEST) and Puertos de Tenerife support the idea, which would see an investment of over €50m into the plan. At present, a commitment to at least that amount has been made by Vega A Inversiones, and the project is awaiting publication in the BOC: at that point the full extent will be known, and it will be possible for the public to express its own opinion. That opinion is likely to lead to a heated debate, because there is significant opposition to the plans in La Caleta itself.

Adeje's Mayor Fraga, finding himself in the middle of a dispute between "the money" and local opposition, has to some extent sat on the fence, making comments about both environmental damage and business opportunities. The La Caleta Residents' Association, however, is clear: "this is not a viable plan, it is not necessary, nor is it a priority for Adeje", said its president Leticia Rodríguez in an interview with Diario de Avisos. The association is to meet this Friday to plan its next moves. Sra Rodríguez said that the area involved in the plans is huge, and that most of the current local businesses are against the proposals.

Outside businesses, however, clearly see room for development, and profit, and may well have sufficient clout to drive this through. For many it might seem a win-win situation with La Caleta either remaining the charming little Canarian fishing village that it currently is, or developing into a new – and very upmarket – Puerto Colon. Time will tell. JA

Janet

Around 200 people in just a few days have formed a pressure group which they say is already working to prevent the new harbour. The group says that similar plans were around in 2007 but were rejected by Adeje Ayuntamiento, and that with the worsening economic situation over the past five or so years, there is even less reason to proceed now. Ashotel and Puertos de Tenerife have received support, however, from the Tenerife Cabildo, which sees the possibility of generating the very economic benefits that locals say are lacking.

Miguel Galindo, the councillor who is at the head of the new pressure group " No al puerto de La Enramada" says that those in opposition will not support plans to turn Adeje into the "new Miami". To me, there seems to be an inherent contradiction between this stance and the group's argument that the economy is too poor and cannot be improved this way. If there is any chance that Adeje would indeed be a "new Miami", then that would involve considerable economic benefit ... and so opposition would be opposition for opposition's sake ... JA

minesadorada

I thought the new harbour was supposed to be near Acala/Playa san Juan, and there was to be a new connecting road from the TF1 extension.

At Charco del Valle there is a 'bridge to nowhere' over the new TF1 that looks like a ski ramp.  It was supposed to lead to a new road connecting with the Paraiso roundabout.  My guess is that the funds for the bridge were pre-paid E.U. whereas the road would have to be funded by the ayuntamiento.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Hi Dorada long time no see.

The harbour you are referring to is the one at Fonsalía, which to my understanding is not approved.  It has the same legendary status of the rest of the proposed projects - pure pipe dream.

They have done a lot of work on the spur from the extension.  According to Janet, the funds for completion of the TF-1 were made available subject to a stipulation that work on it was not to continue.  However, several weeks ago we saw them put up another bridge on it.  Seems to me that they've decided that if the extension can't be completed, neither can the rest of the project. 

Janet

Quote from: minesadorada on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 09:48
I thought the new harbour was supposed to be near Acala/Playa san Juan, and there was to be a new connecting road from the TF1 extension.

Yep. It's A new harbour, not THE new one ... and in Fonsalía it will be a ferry port to take ferries away from Los Cristianos, whereas La Caleta will be a marina along the lines of Los Gigantes.

That's if either happen. Actually the Fonsalía one is approved and ready to go. Just needs money ...

The latest on funding is that the TF5 extension via Icod will be prioritised, and finished next year (yeah I know don't shout at me, just reporting what they say) ... and then the TF1 link from Adeje to Icod will be finished in 2015. The spur to Fonsalía will have to wait for future years, and future funding ... but it will happen at some point.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Quote from: Janet on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 17:19
Yep. It's A new harbour, not THE new one ... and in Fonsalía it will be a ferry port to take ferries away from Los Cristianos, whereas La Caleta will be a marina along the lines of Los Gigantes.

That's if either happen. Actually the Fonsalía one is approved and ready to go. Just needs money ...

The latest on funding is that the TF5 extension via Icod will be prioritised, and finished next year (yeah I know don't shout at me, just reporting what they say) ... and then the TF1 link from Adeje to Icod will be finished in 2015. The spur to Fonsalía will have to wait for future years, and future funding ... but it will happen at some point.

Darling, you are such an optimist.   :cheesy:

Janet

Whether La Caleta's new harbour gets the final go-ahead or not, it will have a new 5* hotel by 2017. Flanders 10 Invest, through Barceló Hotels & Resorts, will be building the Barceló Corales Suites Resorts, whose foundation stone was laid in a ceremony yesterday including current Canarian president Paulino Rivero, Tenerife president Carlos Alonso, Adeje mayor José Miguel Rodríguez Fraga, Willy Deceunick of Flanders10Invest, and Simón Pedro Barceló, co-president of the hotel chain.

Some 300 jobs will be created by the development, and the hotel will be a major component of the "upmarketisation" of La Caleta, ocupying 33,000 square metres with views of La Enramada beach and, of course, La Gomera. Designed by Tenerife architect Leonardo Omar, the development will comprise two separate buildings, one of them, with 121 suites, dedicated to adult-only holidays; the other will contain 114 apartments for families. The hotel will have three communal pools and 51 private ones, four restaurants and three bars. JA

El Profesor

Quote from: Janet on Sat 10 Jan 2015, 17:54
Whether La Caleta's new harbour gets the final go-ahead or not . . . . . . . . . .
Of course it will go ahead. The Fraga clan get what they want, nothing will get in their way.

If it were in Arona on the other hand . . . .  it wouldn't have even got this far. You'll have trouble finding anyone prepared to invest in Arona.