News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

New Gatwick-Tenerife air connection

Started by Janet, Tue 29 Oct 2013, 09:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

From today, a new airline is operating out of Tenerife Sur. Norwegian will connect TFS with 16 European destinations, bringing some 170,000 new passenger seats and some 1,600 direct and indirect jobs too. Cabildo president Carlos Alonso said that the economic benefit for Tenerife will amount to nearly €30m in just the first year. Airline boss Bjørn Kjos said that the opening is in response to a great demand for quality flights between Europe and Tenerife, and that the airline will be connecting not just Scandinavian countries with Tenerife, but the UK too.

The connections Norwegian will be offering with Scandinavia are with Stockholm and Gothenburg in Sweden; Oslo, Torp, Stavanger, Trondheim, Bergen and Rygge in Norway; Copenhagen and Aalborg in Denmark; and Helsinki and Oulu in Finland. In addition, the airline will connect Hamburg, Cologne and Munich in Germany, and London Gatwick. The offer of quality flights connecting Tenerife and Gatwick which will also bring jobs and economic benefits to Tenerife is a happy story to report for a change!JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I take it quality flights means non-charter non-budget airlines?  That would put these guys in direct competition with BA on the LGW-TFS route, which could have a customer friendly impact on prices.  Good news all around.

Janet

A couple of people have told me on FB that they've flown with Norwegian before (today is the official opening of the airline's TFS base but they've been offering flights for a few weeks already), and that the quality is good, very much BA rather than Ryanair standard, and with free wifi ...

yes, I can't see a downside to this!

Nova

I'm thinking trips to Scandinavia in the holidays - I'd love to see Sweden and Norway and maybe even Aurora Borealis!  Fantastic!  :clap:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

always appealed to me too, Sweden and Norway!

Delderek

Had a look a few weeks ago, and yes the prices look good (at the moment). But not really suitable if you travel with only and luggage, as case size allowed is small and maximum weight of 10kgs. As compared to Easyjet that allows a larger size and no weight limit.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

BA allows one cabin bag at 56cm x 45cm x 25cm with a maximum weight of 23kg.  When we took BA to LGW that was a big factor.

Delderek

Quote from: Jack O'lantern on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:50
BA allows one cabin bag at 56cm x 45cm x 25cm with a maximum weight of 23kg.  When we took BA to LGW that was a big factor.

Yup that's the same size as Easyjet. With no weight limit but you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker unaided. 16kg is just about my maximum. :undecided:

Not so long ago before all these baggage charges, weight limits were marked on these lockers of around 25kgs, now in theory you could probably get 4 or 5 cases in totaling 75k plus. But can't see that any of them were strengthened or redesigned in any way.

minesadorada

I flew Gawick-TFS with Norwegian today.  I took 2 x 20kg cases and 10kg hand-luggage - the extra 20kg case was much cheaper than Thomson or ThomasCook

They have free Internet access in-flight.  I was 30,000ft over Portrugal and video-calling using Skype on my tablet - brilliant!

I will definitely fly with them again if they keep up their level of service.  If flew to the UK with them 3 weeks ago.

Perikles

Quote from: minesadorada on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 22:02I was 30,000ft over Portrugal and video-calling using Skype on my tablet - brilliant!

Do they provide free ear-plugs for neighbours?