News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Canary Islands time

Started by Myrtle Hogan-Lance, Mon 23 Sep 2013, 13:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

The Local features an article on the time in the Canaries today, 'Being an hour behind is great for the Canaries'.

Apparently whenever they give the time of day on the news on the mainland, they state it is one hour less in the Canaries, and the esteemed Sr Rivero feels that we would lose our special status and advertising for the islands were the mainland to go ahead with proposals to put their clocks back an hour.  Why would the do that?  To "increase productivity and sleeping hours". 

The article suggests we should actually be an hour behind GMT because of our westerly position.  I tend to concur as it drives me nuts that it is never light before 7 am. 

What time do you think we should be on?

Janet

Just looking at the time zone map HERE, I would say that Spain should be on GMT rather than +1, and the Canaries should be at least one, if not two, hours behind. Two hours behind GMT would be right for us here, it feels to me, with the hottest part of the day being between 3 and 5 rather than 1 and 3.

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 13:31
The Local features an article on the time in the Canaries today, 'Being an hour behind is great for the Canaries'.What time do you think we should be on?

I think the time is good as it is. Technically, I think we are about 90 minutes out, so that the sun is at its highest at around 13.30.

I'd rather have the hour of light in the evening than in the morning.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Quote from: Perikles on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 14:13

I'd rather have the hour of light in the evening than in the morning.

I wonder if the hour of light in the evening has anything to do with keeping the tourists happy. 

I'd still rather have morning light so I could run early.

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 15:00
I wonder if the hour of light in the evening has anything to do with keeping the tourists happy. 

I'd still rather have morning light so I could run early.

I think you are in a microscopic minority there - the tourists want the light to sit around boozing and eating.  :cheesy:

Nova

I would much rather have the light in the morning.  One thing I loved about English summers was getting up to Sarah Kennedy on my alarm at 6am and it was already daylight.  It made me want to get out of bed.  Here I have to get up in the dark all year round and I'm lucky if I can drag my ass out of bed before 7.  It's a reluctance that I can rarely shake off before 3.30pm.  Maybe Canaries would generally be much more productive if we had light in the mornings.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 15:00I'd still rather have morning light so I could run early.

What is to stop you arranging your day to run exactly one hour (or two hours) later than it does today? You could even change all your clocks and computers by one hour and have your own TejinaTime. Shops would then open one hour earlier, and close between 12.00 and 14.00  :great:

Guanche

Who gets out of bed at 7am! There's only one 7 o'clock on my watch and its not in the morning ;)

Nova

As it should be G, but some of us have to start work at 8am  :(
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

And I will actually get up and run at 6 am whether I am working or not.  Much more fun.