News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

German hiker missing in Ifonche area

Started by Janet, Fri 13 Sep 2013, 18:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 15:01
That last guy who got lost in the mountains behind us was a 70-something German.  I think Perikles is right.

73 and setting out alone is reckless.

Bit of a generalisation though isn't it?

I mean, i've seen guys in their seventies that could give guys in their thirties a run for their money.

I know a WW2 vet who, not that long ago, was playing tennis three times a week.

Just saying.  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I take your point and if I live so long plan to be just as active as I am now at 70.  However, it is a well known tenet of hiking that you do not set off by yourself, especially in an area with which you are unfamiliar.  I still say these guys are being reckless.  I would say the same if they were in their fifties or thirties. 

Janet

Yes, it's reckless ...

Perikles went for a walk over to Las Fuentes not too long ago, a marked route and one he's familiar with. Clouds came up and he ended in a mini-barranco ... and before he knew it he was stumped as to which way to turn. It's all too easy, and that was an experienced walker in a known route virtually on our doorstep.

Perikles

Germans are used to having millions of kilometres of well-maintained hiking routes all set out nicely with clear signs everywhere, almost impossible to get lost. The one I got lost on was a route from Vera to a well-known derelict finca only about 10 kms away, and the route had been cleared and spelled out on a hiking map in the village. About as safe as it gets. I started out from the village on the blindingly obvious pathway up the mountain which after about 4 kilometres had been completely demolished by some recent rain. Because I knew roughly where I was going, I guessed the direction and got it wrong. Within half an hour I finished up in the bottom of an impenetrable barranco with undergrowth so bad I couldn't even see where I had come from. Oddly, going down was more difficult than going up, so I eventually climbed up a very steep and unstable bank and found a path by accident. Of course, I had my mobile with me, but of course there was no coverage, not even when once out in the open again.

I think I've said it before somewhere, but they get grants to build these routes, and with no maintenance grant the routes disintegrate within a year or two making them actually more dangerous than if they hadn't done it in the first place.

Janet

Perikles has hit the nail on the head ... I'm sure he didn't mean to ... :D

IT WAS THE SAME MAN!!!!!

:link:

Michael

Oh FFS! That being the case, I hope he's got deep pockets.  ::)
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Does anybody listen to me? Ever? [attachimg=1]

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Quote from: Nova on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:38
As rarely as possible  :giggle:

Did someone say something Nova?  Just wondering what you were responding to.