News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Canaries to feel indirect effects of edge of hurricane Humberto over next few days

Started by Janet, Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

A range of meteorologists, from Aemet to the National Hurricane Center, are forecasting a bit of a rough weekend for the Canaries as we feel the indirect effects of hurricane Humberto, the first hurricane of the 2013 season. Humberto has been forming as a tropical storm over the past five or so days off the coast of Senegal, and achieved hurricane 1 strength yesterday. Currently it is just north of Cape Verde and veering west to start its journey over the Atlantic, but we could feel some of its winds, and have some of its rough seas, over today and this weekend. It might also get a little more tropical over these next few days, with warmer humid weather and some rain, the effects of being at the very edge of the hurricane as it passes. Meteorologists are adamant that we will not be directly affected by Humberto at all. JA

El Profesor

Quote from: Janet on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:28
Meteorologists are adamant that we will not be directly affected by Humberto at all.

I should think so to, it isn't even close.
Right now the middle of the hurricane is about as far away as Gibraltar is, same distance but south of the Azores, and it's moving west.

It looks to me like it could rain on Friday and Sunday, but that's coming from the low pressure on the Morrocan coast and anyway, by Sunday the hurricane will be smack bang in the middle of the Atlantic.

I suppose you could call all weather the indirect effects of weather somewhere else.

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

HERE is the latest satellite, and it's clear that we can feel the effects of the edge of Humberto.  :tiphat:

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

El Profesor

Quote from: Janet on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 17:22
HERE is the latest satellite, and it's clear that we can feel the effects of the edge of Humberto.  :tiphat:
Nice pic, you'd sort of expect it to be windy looking at that. - 3pm and moving away.

You had rain  . . . . lucky you, I'd love a bit down here

Janet

9pm ... edge quite close now ... but will be moving away over the next few hours. Forecast is still for gustiness, cloud, humidity and rough seas this weekend.

:link:

:tiphat:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Holy Christ it's been ferocious.  We've measured .3mm of rain on the weather station.   :rain2:

Michael

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Thu 12 Sep 2013, 23:58
Holy Christ it's been ferocious.  We've measured .3mm of rain on the weather station.   :rain2:

Much more and you'll float away.  :giggle:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin: