Elderly San Isidro resident seriously injured in gas bottle explosion

Started by Janet, Sat 3 Aug 2013, 13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

An 82-year-old woman is seriously ill in hospital after being burnt when a gas bottle exploded inside her home in San Isidro around 8am this morning. The house wall was also damaged in the explosion, requiring bomberos to secure the area. Paramedics gave the woman preliminary assistance at the scene but due to the severity of her injuries she was then transferred to Hospitén Sur with serious second degree burns to her face and arms. JA

Briz

Have you heard any more news regarding this incident, because gas bottles don't explode unless subjected to extreme heat such as in a big fire. I would have expected it to have been a gas leak which then exploded due to a spark or naked flame.

Janet

no, there's been no further report ... but all the initial reports, which are taken from the same emergency services source, of course, refer explicitly to the explosion of a "bombona", a gas bottle.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I agree that Briz's supposition is the most likely scenario.  A friend of mine once blew up a gas cylinder (and moved an exterior wall several inches) when he brightly put the cylinder on top of a gas hob.  Which was turned on.  Fortunately we can joke about this today.

Michael

Briz is right. A gas cylinder will take a hell of a lot of abuse before it explodes.

Someone has to do something really really silly.

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Guanche

Remember the gas 'valve's' that join the bottle to the appliance do wear out, and the orange tubing has a sell by date. It must, or should be changed every few years, I think it's five years or so.

Briz

Quote from: Michael on Sun  4 Aug 2013, 15:09
Briz is right. A gas cylinder will take a hell of a lot of abuse before it explodes.

Someone has to do something really really silly.

The only abuse which can cause an explosion is the application of heat.

Myrtle's cylinder on the hob is probably the best example of something really silly

These low pressure gas cylinders have been bounced down motorways and fallen off tall buildings without exploding but the fire in the lockup or workshop is a killer.

Janet

so it's possible, then, that there was a fire which then reached the gas bottle?

Guanche

Is it possible that there was just a leak? I know that butane is heavier than air and therefor sinks. Hence the need for ventilation in the wall next to the bottle at ground level, so the gas can leak outside and disperse. I have however seen these holes blocked up to prevent cockroaches and the like. If the butane had no where to go and pooled on the floor all it would take is a spark.

Briz

Quote from: Guanche on Mon  5 Aug 2013, 13:10
Is it possible that there was just a leak? I know that butane is heavier than air and therefor sinks. Hence the need for ventilation in the wall next to the bottle at ground level, so the gas can leak outside and disperse. I have however seen these holes blocked up to prevent cockroaches and the like. If the butane had no where to go and pooled on the floor all it would take is a spark.

Probably right gas and air waiting for a spark or flame or a puff of a fag

BOOM  :D