Fiesta discussion

Started by Nova, Sun 14 Jul 2013, 11:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

I have split this topic from the original because it wasn't appropriate to continue it there.

I don't know what makes you all think I'm so unhappy here because I'm not, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.  There are lots of things I don't like of course, possibly more than others who moved here because I didn't choose to come here, I am not trying to "live the dream", I'm just a girl trying to earn a living.  I was perfectly happy in the UK but I was unemployed and in need of a job.  Then I was offered a job that turned out to be in Tenerife.  Simple.  Six years on I'm still here, and as much as I'm happy wherever I am as long as I have my computer and an internet connection, most of the time I have no reason to complain.

I have a nice apartment, overlooking the sea, high enough above the street that most of the time I'm high above the noise and the only sound accompanying my much-needed downtime is the sound of the waves lapping the shore.  It is rather idyllic, with the added benefit that I have shops and bars only a stones throw away if I want them and best of all I walk to work in just a few minutes, so I have no morning commute.  Most of the time I am very content here.  What you've been witnessing is how annoyed I get for the week in July and the week in August when my peaceful idyll is shattered by godawful "boom boom" and bass that shakes my apartment, stresses me out, ruins my downtime and prevents me from getting any sleep.  Especially when I think it's completely unnecessary.  Is it really civilised to play such loud "music" until 4.30am in a residential area where people have to work the next day?  It was nearly 2am when it finished last night (earlier on the Sunday, thank god) but I'm up for work at 6.30!  I surely can't be the only person who needs to be able to stay focused at work.  In fact I'm not, because everybody I have spoken to today who lives in the vicinity has agreed how totally out of order it is to play the music so loud and so late, English, Spanish and Canarians.  It has been non-stop since Thursday, have any of the locals really been productive this weekend?  I don't think so.

I totally defend my right to live where I choose to live, and I do choose to live right here, and for 50 weeks of the year it's perfect.  I'm certainly not going to be driven out of my home or out of a job with such enviable hours simply because of a total lack of consideration by fiesta organisers who think people need to bust their eardrums in order to have a good time.  While I'm ranting, it's beyond me how any local authority can justify spending money on these things - especially the goddamn fireworks - when unemployment is so high and the lifeguards haven't been paid. 

And no, moving out for the duration of the fiesta isn't an option when I have pets.  Nor should it be.  I had it drilled into me as a child never to play my music loud enough to bother other people.  I guess I just can't understand why these guys weren't taught the same.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Nova

Quote from: Michael on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:14
I didn't know it at the time but i've stood right outside your building so I know exactly what you mean. I think i'd stick it out as well.  :giggle:

Ok then, why not stay with a friend for the duration of the fiesta?

Thanks Mac  :kissing2:

1.  Guinea pig.
2.  I don't think Janet and Perikles would appreciate me waking them up at 6am with my alarm clock  :giggle:

—————

Janet

For what it's worth, I too think the fiestas are an anomaly. OK, they're Spanish, or Canarian if you prefer. Yes, it's what they do. And clearly many have fun and enjoy them.

Also, at this time of the year there is something to be said for being up in the middle of the night when it's cool and huddled indoors in the heat of the day.

But ... times change. Nowadays, far fewer people have siestas to catch up on sleep: most businesses (all national ones) work "office hours" ... 8am to sometime mid to late afternoon. No sleep in the day. Aren't we constantly told that Spain's economy needs all hands to the pumps and no sleeping on the job?

Also, in plena crisis, fiesta organization money could indeed be better spent on those who can't actually afford to eat at home, let alone at a communal party, and the often overpriced kiosks and bars that turn up.

And as for the fireworks, I don't actually think cultural relativism is any sort of argument in their favour. They are dangerous in their own right, they are a particular fire hazard at this time of year, and they cost money that no community should be literally burning. I don't care that it's "what they do".They shouldn't, at least not in summer, and at least not until Spain's communities actually have some spare money.

Fiestas are a "traditional" part of Spanish culture because of their religious roots. Religious roots that Spain has been trying and is still trying to move away from. This is one aspect I for one would not be sorry to see some reform in.

Delderek

Now I've heard of Mr Meldrew. But do we now have a Mrs Meldrew?

I wish I could find Michael's "Hiding behind sofa" graphic.  :whistle:

Nova

Cheers Del, it's right there in the smileys and you need it  :poke:

I don't know why I get called grumpy when I've been living in a hell for the last four days at the hands of other people  :-X  Anyway, I've been working through a thick fog of tiredness today and the fact that I still balanced to the cent is a testament only to how bloody good I am at my job  :kdance:

—————

Perikles

Quote from: Nova on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 16:212.  I don't think Janet and Perikles would appreciate me waking them up at 6am with my alarm clock  :giggle:

I wouldn't hear it, because it would be down in the cave.  :giggle:

poker

Quote from: Nova on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 16:49
Cheers Del, it's right there in the smileys and you need it  :poke:

I don't know why I get called grumpy when I've been living in a hell for the last four days at the hands of other people  :-X  Anyway, I've been working through a thick fog of tiredness today and the fact that I still balanced to the cent is a testament only to how bloody good I am at my job  :kdance:

You did not have to pay any primeministers with brown envelopes then if youre account is till the cent in order . :)

El Profesor

Quote from: Janet on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 16:39

Fiestas are a "traditional" part of Spanish culture because of their religious roots. Religious roots that Spain has been trying and is still trying to move away from. This is one aspect I for one would not be sorry to see some reform in.
I wouldn't say they are trying to move away from them at all . . . . especially in times of crisis, what with "panem et circenses" y tal.

FIESTAS IN SPAIN part one -
Up in Pamplona, Navarra, they have the San Fermin fiesta ...... that's the famous one where they all run down the streets with the bulls to the bull ring . . . . the trick is to curl up if you fall over.
This is shown live on national prime time breakfast telly - TVE1 (without commentary ) . . . . every morning for a week.

Fascinating . . . . then a few minutes later a soft spoken gentleman with a beard comes on to give   a quick press conference. He is the boss of the Accident and Emergency Department of the Hospitals of the Community of Navarra. And he proceeds to inform the nation of the list of injuries incurred by the fun loving bull fiesta goers. It is quite surreal.
- "This morning we have had three casualties, a broken wrist, one goring and a stubbed toe" typically including at least one American.

And this is every day for 8 days.

This clip is from the day before yesterday . . . Saturday 13th July. This is the seventh and penultimate morning run of the fiestas.

Normally the run lasts about two and a half minutes . . . . . however, this clip from Saturday morning lasts about four minutes ("cuatro minutos  . . . . cuatro minutos" says the stunned anchor lady) because a load of people fell over in the entrance to the bull ring and blocked it . . . and all the bulls ploughed into the back of them and they all got stuck.
They say that this hasn't happened for years, although it has actually occurred on 22 other occasions  . . .  I mean this is the 23rd time this has happened. Elf and Safety eat your heart out . . .
Bear in mind that the first two minutes of this video is absolutely normal prime time breakfast viewing on national TV for 8 consecutive days every July . . the bit after that has only happened 22 times before.

. And here is the nice gentleman doctor  . . . announcing the results.

Janet

just to clarify ... meant trying to move away from religion, rather than fiestas ...

edit: qué barbaridad ... :scowl:

Briz

I think Fiestas are like the "Games" in that they divert attention from all the things that are wrong.