The best May for tourism in the last decade

Started by Janet, Fri 21 Jun 2013, 12:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Turismo is understandably jubilant with figures that show 690,485 visitors came to these islands in May, a rise of 8.5 % compared to May 2012, and the best May in the last ten years – one has to go back to 2003, when 690,971 May holidaymakers arrived. to beat last month's figures. The best May in the records was in 2001, with 706,084. Equally happily, British tourists represented a large part of the increase, rising 10.5%. Long may this continue! JA

El Profesor

Perikles

Michael

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Nova

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

Well, could it be that they're right after all? The Government has long said that part of its plan for "upmarket quality tourism" is several fold. To get rid of the cheap and shabby image created by the likes of the Tenerife Uncovered television programmes, to tend towards and generate new luxury and niche products, and to have fewer tourists – but "better quality and wealthier" ones who spent more.

The idea that lower tourist numbers could equate with higher tourist spending was met with pretty widespread scepticism, but the first five months of this year do seem to offer support because latest official figures show the Canaries leading Spain in the average tourist spend, with international tourists bringing €4,644,000 to these islands, 8% up on last year. What's more, specific figures for the Canaries  show a rise on 2012, with an average daily spend of €111, a rise of 6.4% compared to 2012 - and British tourists are leading the spend.

So, the first five months saw fewer tourists but more income, and as I posted below, May itself was a superb month, the best May for ten years, but with the same general tendency to stay in better quality all-inclusive and 5* hotels. The message conveyed by what has been seen as a high-risk rebranding exercise might actually be getting out there: we are a quality destination for upmarket and wealthy tourists who have space to move ... and to spend. JA

minesadorada

How does this fit in with the new optimism?

QuoteBuenavista Golf Club is to be sold as quickly as possible to investors following the publication last Friday of details of the procedure to apply to buy the Cabildo's controlling stake in the course. The corporation hopes to raise more than 10 million euros for its coffers the operation.

The 18-hole par 72 course with stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean was designed by the late Severiano Ballesteros.
It was voted the second best course in Europe in 2011 by the Golf Journal.

source: http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/39686/daily-news-article.html

This superb golf course has 2 possible fates:
1 ) A private investor promotes and rejuvenates Buenavista Golf as a high-class tourist amenity
2 ) Buenavista is is bought at a firesale price (by a 'friend' or relative of someone in the Cabildo) and mothballed for later property development

Vamous a ver :)

Janet

you don't need to quote IC ... we had it HERE ourselves :D

That golf course is just too far out of the way, in my opinion.

El Profesor

Quote from: Perikles on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 14:19
And the plural of lot is ....... El Prof?
That wasn't me. It was one of my finger's.