News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Guía de Isora to have second golf course

Started by Janet, Wed 17 Apr 2013, 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

The municipality of Guía de Isora is to have a second golf course to complement the Abama course in its golf tourism offer. Mayor Pedro Martín didn't confirm which part of the area is to be developed, though he hinted that it would be land that is currently agricultural, but confirmed that investors are already interested in the project, and that drafts are drawn up. Local water supplies would not be endangered, said the mayor, who noted that the drafts allowed for desalinated sea water to keep the course green. Sr Martìn said that Guía de Isora's tourism development would not necessarily be in the form of further construction, but that a second golf course would be appropriate for the upmarket developments like the 5* Abama and Melía hotels. Quality, not quantity, is the key for Guía de Isora, said Mayor Martín. JA

Perikles

It would be nice if they specified who the owner of the land was, and what his connections are, if any, with the Ayuntamiento.  :whistle:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Even nicer if they diverted their funding to finishing the goddamned TF-1. 

minesadorada

Another 200euro/round golf course.  Whoopee, I can't wait..

Michael

Quote from: minesadorada on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:00
Another 200euro/round golf course.  Whoopee, I can't wait..

You're kidding, right?  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

I bet he's not.....let's see when he comes back.

Janet

I suspect he's right, I've heard Abama is very expensive ... and very elite, which is the idea, perhaps ...

as long as it's good for municipal image, and therefore property prices, they can charge what they like .... :D

Michael

You would think knocking a ball round a field with a bat wouldn't be expensive but I suppose it costs a fortune to keep the courses manicured.

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Nova

I don't know why anyone plays real golf now there's Wii golf  :D
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

minesadorada

Quote from: Michael on Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:15
You're kidding, right?  :undecided:

200euro a round: http://www.abamahotelresort.com/the_essentials/

I was once offered a 75euro round and refused.  It's an OK course, but not exceptional.  I think they offer water and a banana at each hole, and will park your car for you.  The buggies are nice.

Buenavista (the Gobinero-owned  course) is the best course on the island IMO, but is far from subsidised - residents still have to pay ~100euro/round in winter (which is why it's empty most days)  The course is beautifully designed and maintained, and I have a deal to play there (for a reasonable price) this Saturday  :great:

I was told by a local golf course owner that Buenavista golf course was built to raise land and property prices around the course, but the ploy failed due to lack of interest and now the course stands as a gobinero white elephant charging unrealistic greenfees to residents.  Usually twice a year (May and October) they do a residents deal which is quite popular with the few folk that know about it (Buenavista is not exactly brilliant at publicity)

As the only municipal course on the island and the only 18-hole public course in the North, the pricing for residents is a disgrace IMO, and explains its lack of profitability.  I was told it's celebrity designer Seve Ballesteros walked away from the project once they announced their intended prices for residents.  It's hardly a tourist course; tucked away in the far northwest.

Abama was always for the rich folk - the price keeps the riff-raff (like me) away from the posh golfers.   The private Real course in the north is for business folk to network etc.

I don't see the need for another posh course in the South - Adeje is a nice existing championship course that has plenty of room for expansion.

@Nova: Unlike disc golf on the PS3, real golf is good exercise (provided you don't use a buggy) and not too expensive here once you know how.  A few years ago I helped form a society (Los Golfos) with the expressed aim of negotiating cheap greenfees on local courses.  There's strength in numbers!