Administrative chaos on Arona’s beaches

Started by Janet, Wed 17 Apr 2013, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Do you know something? From the outside looking in, it really does look like Tenerife has some kind of death wish.  ::)

Forget for one moment that I love the place and have met some really cool people there who I consider to be my friends.

I'm Mr.Choosy, sitting at home Googling away looking for info to help me plan my next family holiday.

I Google Tenerife and read loads of stuff about non-existant or scant life-guard cover on the beaches, fines for actually using the beach and a general strike.

Would I go to Tenerife for my holidays?

Would I fuck!  :gonnagetit:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Nova

If we thought it was a farce before... well it certainly is now  ::)
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

And so it continues. After sectioning off a part of the beach for private sunbed users, a move that subsequently saw rapid backtracking amidst allegations that the sunbed concession had repeatedly been deemed illegal, it now seems that this summer will find Arona's Los Cristianos and Troya beaches without any sunbeds or umbrellas at all. 

Apart from the questionable contracts, it appears that no money has been coming in to the council from the concession for over a year, leaving a financial hole in the council's coffers of, in total when all services are taken into account, around €2,000,000. Moreover, the Ayuntamiento's General Secretary confirmed that when the current contract expired - at the beginning of 2012 - the contract required the sunbeds to be removed.

The municipal legal chief says that the whole thing must now be put out to public tender according to recognized procedures, and insisted that the council brings to an end the current "irregular situation", a situation evidenced by numerous reports issued since early 2011. With just a week or so now to go before the summer period formally starts, the chaos on Arona's beaches shows no sign of improving. If anything, it is just getting worse and worse. JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

Christ, these people are insane.  And stupid.

poker

New business for lookie lookie men , selling beatch chairs sunbeds and parasols now ?

Guanche

What I find most depressing is that despite mass corruption within the council (unproved) and incompetent administration, the life guards, the loss of 'Blue beach' status and failure to collect €2,000,000 in taxes from the beach concessions to name three, both local government and central government stand idly by and do nothing. :017:

Michael

Every time there's an 'incompetent/corrupt council' story it always seems to be Arona. Or maybe it's just my imagination?  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Janet

It's just worse there than elsewhere, but it's by no means confined ...

I don't mention Santiago del Teide much ... because the policía local are tyrants ...

Janet

And now, the sunbed issue is in the Courts. Councillor José Antonio Reverón (not the former mayor, who is José Alberto González Reverón) had just finished testifying in the Caso Arona (the latest in which scandal saw some 20-odd senior Arona Ayuntamiento officials have their corruption case trials confirmed and their appeals rejected just the other day), when he put what we might call the sunbeds case in the hands of the public prosecutor with a denuncia for corruption. Some are now just totting up the numbers of corruption cases in the Courts involving the Arona authorities. The sunbeds case is now popularly known as Caso Arona 5 ... JA