Callao Salvaje to be home to Tenerife’s first thalassotherapy centre

Started by Janet, Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

Callao Salvaje scores another hit with Tenerife's first thalassotherapy centre to be located in the Sueño Azul area of Callao Salvaje.  The project, whose plans (above) have been submitted by Sueño Azul S.L., has the agreement of the Canarian Government and Adeje Ayuntamiento,  already has a basic works licence. Concejal de Urbanismo in Adeje, José María Álvarez, confirmed that the new therapy centre is an integral health project, not a hotel, and will offer 200 beds over 13,800 square metres surrounded by a sports area of 6,280 square metres providing two pools, one of which will be heated. It will provide some 50 full-time jobs as well, of course, as work during its construction, says Adeje. The centre is officially destined for preventative medicinal use, not touristic, but it might be nice as a hotel, though, and of course it won't have to worry about the new tourism legislation ...

JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

With apologies to anybody who lives around there, in my experience that area is a real dump.  That experience would be coloured by that giant derelict shopping centre with the church.

I always thought thalassotherapy was code for 'getting dumb tourists to pay a lot more for a holiday by the sea'.  Not that we couldn't stand to have a few more dumb tourists splashing out more cash on our little island.  The more the merrier. 

:beach:

Janet

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:03...giant derelict shopping centre with the church.

:017:

:undecided:

edit: ah :facepalm: you mean the Sueño Azul area ... 

Perikles

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:03Not that we couldn't stand to have a few more dumb tourists splashing out more cash on our little island.  The more the merrier. 

Especially if they stay put in Callao  :Woot_Emoticon:

Michael

********* Dumb question alert ***********

I admit I had to Google thalassotherapy and the question that comes to my mind is that as it seems to be  a sea water therapy type of thing, why not just go on a normal holiday and swim in the sea a lot?  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

El Profesor

thalassotherapy? thalassotherapy? swimming in the sea? Or are they going to actually pump the water out of the sea so you don't have messy sand and rocks and stuff.

Is that it? We pump the water out of the sea so that you don't have to go in the sea? And that sells?

Brilliant - how much to get my face wrapped in some seaweed?
They could pump some invigorating sea breeze into the air conditioning, saves walking on the shore.

As Myrtle says, Callao can only benefit from having these people walking around . . . . it does sound like they will be expecting luxurious establishments though  :unsure:

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

It's called thalassotherapy to make it sound high falutin'.  θάλασσα is the Greek word for sea.  And they probably will pump sea water to the hydrotherapy pools.

This sort of thing is meant to appeal to middle aged women with money.  They might be single career women, or women whose husbands have money.  Not the sort of women common enough to go on a beach holiday.  But it sounds like they are doing something on holiday when going for some type of health therapy.  Certainly the facial seaweed wrap will be available. 

I predict there will be a sign in reception "Callao Salvaje beach 300m ---->". 

OH pointed out to me that what I thought were clouds in the illustration is actually supposed to represent snowy Mt Teide.  Sheesh!

Janet

Nothing new in the idea, really, though there's lots of new woo elements that have been incorporated into the more modern centres. The water therapy centres were very popular in the Victorian period and early C20... on which subject, I really enjoyed Bleakly Hall, a darkly comedic novel set in one between the wars.

poker

How to get arround the buildingban of only newbuilds of 5 star hotels alloud?

Lets call it a thalassotherapy center .

Delderek

Quote from: Myrtle Hogan-Lance on Wed 20 Mar 2013, 12:03
With apologies to anybody who lives around there, in my experience that area is a real dump.  That experience would be coloured by that giant derelict shopping centre with the church.

I always thought thalassotherapy was code for 'getting dumb tourists to pay a lot more for a holiday by the sea'.  Not that we couldn't stand to have a few more dumb tourists splashing out more cash on our little island.  The more the merrier. 

:beach:

I will have you know that the whole top floor was designed to be an upmarket Disco. Think some planner went wrong with the market research. :017: