News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Does anyone know a good, decent and honest butcher in south Tenerife?

Started by Janet, Fri 15 Feb 2013, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I talked to Sally Vincent on FB about it. She has eaten horse in France and prefers it to beef.

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Perikles

Quote from: Michael on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:19
She has eaten horse in France and prefers it to beef.

So have I, it was delicious and quite unlike beef. Long ago, so I can't remember the difference exactly.

Delderek

Quote from: Perikles on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:30
So have I, it was delicious and quite unlike beef. Long ago, so I can't remember the difference exactly.

I found it tasted like cheap Beef, but tougher. But if on a Butchers counter I wouldn't think you could see any difference.

Guanche

As I say I have probably eaten it, and to be honest it wouldn't bother me........ so long as I know what I'm eating!! This is my problem and has been for years. If you buy processed food you have no idea what the hell is in it. You have no control over the salt, sugar, chemicals, fat content, quality of ingredient, cleanliness of the people who make it or where it's made. So we don't buy it, simple :nono:

Just a thought though about buying meat here. There are a lot of horses owned by people who maybe can't afford them anymore :undecided: As I said just a thought.

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

The butcher shop in Guia (left hand side, called Marco or something) seems very good.  We've used them once and I don't now why I don't go more often.  Actually, I do - it's because Mercadona is in the other direction.  But perhaps I should change my ways.

The butcher shop in the supermarket in Playa San Juan has been recommended.  If you enter from the top end of town, driving down the street with the Bodega Spirit on the right, it is a bit further down on the right.

Nova

Also a bit far for you unless you're already in the area, but Sayana in Las Galletas has a very good reputation and they are nice people too  :tiphat:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Delderek

Quote from: Janet on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 11:19
yes, Del, it's French .... and far more expensive than I can afford.

Poker, yes it's a bit far ... and it's supermarkets that I now want to avoid.

I need a real independent butcher in the west Tenerife area (Adeje to Guía de Isora ideally), and one that can be trusted.

I think sometimes we get used to cheap Supermarket meat, and yes local Butchers are more expensive. We have three Butchers in our town, and I don't use them often, but when I do, I think how much better than the Supermarkets. And well worth the difference. So affordability is one thing, but on occasions just go for the best, and forget the cost. :)

minesadorada

HiperTrebol (Adeje) still has a good fresh meat counter.  They started pre-packaging their mince recently for the tourists, but they are more than happy to use the mincer on a piece of fresh meat if you ask in Spanish.  They use Argentinian imported beef as far as I can tell, so unlikely to be horsey.  They sometimes sell fresh cabra, too.

Delderek

They play a lot of Polo in Argentina, what happens to all the old Horses? :whistle: