News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Does anyone know a good, decent and honest butcher in south Tenerife?

Started by Janet, Fri 15 Feb 2013, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

It was bound to come ...

does anyone know a good, decent and honest butcher in south Tenerife?

There is no suggestion at present that this completely appalling situation with food fraud in Europe is affecting any part of Spain, but with the finding that there's even drug-poisoned horsemeat in fresh mince, I've had enough of the lot of them.

I need to find a butcher ...

Delderek

Janet

the French one? I can't afford that!!  :D

It's very expensive, apparently, and I don't get down to that part very often any more ...

Delderek

Quote from: Janet on Fri 15 Feb 2013, 10:54
the French one? I can't afford that!!  :D

It's very expensive, apparently, and I don't get down to that part very often any more ...

Didn't know it was French! It is underneath the Apollo centre in the corner.

poker

We are the most happy with the butchers in our local supermarket Hermuza in Silencio .
Small , but clean and good meat .

In the Lidll (chafiras) you also have pasta and belotta , or in Gargatcho their main shop .
But its all a bit far to drive specially for you ....... If you would pass of course , have a look .

Janet

yes, Del, it's French .... and far more expensive than I can afford.

Poker, yes it's a bit far ... and it's supermarkets that I now want to avoid.

I need a real independent butcher in the west Tenerife area (Adeje to Guía de Isora ideally), and one that can be trusted.

Briz

The thing is you don't buy mince! You point to the nice piece of beef such as skirt and ask them to mince a couple of kilos.

I often ask them to chuck in a bit of fatty pork and mince it all twice

Janet

exactly ... but the only place to do that near me is in a butcher. I used to be able to do it in Mercadona Adeje, but they stopped the meat counter. :scowl:

Thing is, though, how do I know the steaks I'm looking at are cow not horse??  :017:

Michael

We feel like you Janet. From now on we're going to use our local farm shop.

I don't even think it's any more expensive as they do special offer 'bundles'.

[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Guanche

Does anyone know the difference between horse and beef. Taste texture colour all that. I have no doubt that some of us have eaten it, most unwittingly. So anyone give us a clue as to what we're to look for. :)