News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Tragedy during safety exercise on Thomson Majesty cruise ship in La Palma

Started by Janet, Sun 10 Feb 2013, 14:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

The cruise liner will remain in La Palma to await two inspectors to continue the investigation into the accident. The ship was expected to leave port today to continue on to Funchal, but port authorities say that it will now stay in situ until the investigation is complete. The inspectors are from the Ministerio de Fomento and the government of Malta, the country under whose flag the Thomson Majesty was sailing. The Guardia Civil have confirmed that the bodies of the five crew who died will also remain in La Palma until the results of the autopsy are available.  JA

Myrtle Hogan-Lance

What are they doing with the passengers?  Detaining them or flying them out?  I don't know how long this cruise was intended to be, only that the next port of call was Funchal. 

Janet

I think they've been transferred to another ship, or flown somewhere ... I'm pretty sure they're not still on La Palma.

Janet

The 'Thomson Majesty' arrived back in Tenerife this morning, ready to start a week's cruise with some 1,100 passengers to Gran Canaria, La Palma, Madeira, Marruecosa and Lanzarote. Passengers on the cruise where tragedy struck in La Palma were returned to their home countries on flights organized by the tour company. The investigation into the accident which cost the lives of five crew remains open. JA

Michael

Just a thought, but if that had happened during a real emergency with 100 passengers in that boat..............................  :undecided:
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin: