News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

Public outrage and lifeguard despair over 6 months of unpaid wages in Arona

Started by Janet, Thu 31 Jan 2013, 00:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Nova

Except that it's only been proposed so far, the Ayto. has to agree yet, right Janet?
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

El Profesor

Quote from: Nova on Thu  7 Mar 2013, 22:56
Except that it's only been proposed so far, the Ayto. has to agree yet, right Janet?
They will do what they are told. For the good of the "family".

Janet

yes, Nova, and yes, Prof, I agree ..... I hope they do indeed do as they're told.

poker

So everybody will finaly get payed.
Lets hope funds are ready and they get it soon . . . . .

Next wil be then appointing a new company with brown envelopes to run the lifeguards ( back to step 1 ) .

El Profesor

Quote from: poker on Fri  8 Mar 2013, 06:06
So everybody will finaly get payed.
Lets hope funds are ready and they get it soon . . . . .

Next wil be then appointing a new company with brown envelopes to run the lifeguards ( back to step 1 ) .
Maybe they could use the money from renting the sunbeds in Las Vistas.  :kc045:

Janet

Do have a look at the political blog Blancahari (click the name) ... even if it needs to be run through Google translate the gist will be there. Seven months of non-payments; official lies; over 5,000 signatures on a petition; complaints to the Town hall; critical reports in the local, national and foreign media; an alert for exposed pipes in Las Vistas beach; department of employment mediation itself saying the Ayuntamiento should pay the lifeguards; the apparent disappearance of Arona's blue flags ... ! Shame appears to be the only weapon left. Please use it and spread the word of what Arona is doing to its own best assets – best touristic and human assets ... JA

Janet

Let's spare a thought this Easter for the Arona lifeguards, now 8 months into a forced work-to-rule for no pay whatsoever, and with no apparent solution in sight. The above picture shows how beautiful the coastline is, but it is also dangerous for the 10,000 or so visitors who are spending the Easter weekend there. With virtually no equipment, nor vehicles, and seemingly abandoned by their true employers (however much the Council might deny the responsibility), these lifesavers are still there. Show them some support if you can, and spare them a thought. If there's anything to the Easter message it is that of sacrifice and salvation. Who does more, these days, and in Arona especially, to sacrifice and save than the lifeguards themselves. Without getting all religious, who is more entitled right now to say "my god why have you forsaken me". JA

Janet

The lifeguards have tonight issued the following statement:

QuoteThe Arona Rescue and Lifeguard Service, with a team of 18, has decided by a majority to limit the service and the strike to Playa de las Vistas, where the lifeguard base is located.

From tomorrow, there will be no lifeguard cover at El Camisón or Los Cristianos beaches, in addition to there being no vehicles and so no roaming patrols between Costa del Silencio and Playa Troya. There will also be no disabled bathroom facilities either.

Please present any complaints by phone to Arona Ayuntamiento on 010, or in person at any of the Atención al Ciudadano "SAC" offices. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience, but after eight months of official abandonment, and 18 lifeguards working without pay since July 2012, we hope you will appreciate our position, and thank you in advance for your understanding.

Janet

If all goes well, I will be on Radio Sur Adeje (click HERE to listen online) in the English slot between 1 and 1.30 talking to Clio O'Flynn about the lifeguards situation.  :tiphat: