Public outrage and lifeguard despair over 6 months of unpaid wages in Arona

Started by Janet, Thu 31 Jan 2013, 00:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

TV Canarias will have another report on the lifeguards tomorrow morning live on TV, on the Buenos Días Canarias programme from 8.30am.

Still no recording from Radio Adeje Sur, sorry ...

Janet

Mystery today surrounds an article in El Día quoting the concejal de Medio Ambiente, Antonio Sosa, as saying that Arona Ayuntamiento will assume responsibility for lifeguard provision on the municipality's beaches in the interim period until a new contractor is appointed. Sr Sosa also said, it seems, that he is seeking a formula to pay the lifeguards outstanding arrears. The Ayuntamiento, it appears, is simultaneously working towards getting the lifeguards their money, and appointing a new company to take over the whole socorrista service in Arona.

We can only hope that this is, in fact, true, and, if true, that it will bear fruit in the very near future. It seems a shame, however, that no-one thought to keep the lifeguards informed, because Veronica says that she had no knowledge of this at all, and that she was surprised to read it in the paper. The lifeguards' position is that since the Ayuntamiento emphatically dismissed this option at the last mediation meeting, they are unconvinced by the article, not least because the council has shown by its very actions that they are not prepared to "assume responsibility". Veronica herself sums the situation up in three points:

1.-Antonio Sosa has been taking the mickey since last summer, and today's news is nothing more than one more such lie.
2.-The council's lack of interest in meeting the lifeguards, or even offering basic provisions, shows a lack of respect, and moreover to come up with such a solution – which they could have come up with a year and a half ago  - and then only in the press, shames the council.
3. – Given the objections of the technical, legal and administrative departments of Arona Ayuntamiento we are now suspicious that they have now supposedly come up with this solution. We hope the report is correct, and that we are paid right now what is owing, and that they put our vehicles and supplies in order. We hope that they don't forget about us and get rid of us – as was implied at the last meeting by the suggestion that the local police might take over the service.

Meanwhile, Sr Sosa says the blue flag and disability awards are the welcome result of Arona's attempts at a provision of excellence, and that the acquisition of them was never a priority in and of itself. One can't help but wonder whether he is preparing the ground for the loss of these prestigious recognitions.  JA

Janet

Well done Balú! As I posted on 2 April, Marjan from Balú bar was arranging for customers to drop off food at the bar to be handed over to the lifeguards, and to Sebastian the Dog. The drop off was yesterday ... and the above photo shows the results. Well done to everyone concerned.

Janet

The lifeguards have released the following request: I've just translated it, otherwise it's verbatim.

QuoteHello resident, neighbour or visitor of Arona.This is a message in protest and as a request for help and cooperation.

Please call 010, Arona Council's attention line, and make a complaint: other numbers are 922 761 600 or, from abroad, 0034 922 761 600. The municipal lifeguard service is responsible for security, assistance and lifesaving along the Arona coastline from Playa Troya to Costa del Silencio: Playa Honda, Punta del Cabezo, Playa Camisón, Playa Las Vistas, Los Cristianos Beach, Tarajales Beach, Palm Mar, Las Galletas ... to Montaña Amarilla in Costa del Silencio.

The lifeguards in this service have not been paid for 9 months, and have been working to rule providing a minimum service for nearly 6 months. For one month now, they have been providing lifeguard cover only in Playa de las Vistas, and even that without any emergency vehicles or equipment. In this time, they have resuscitated nine people, six during the period of the strike, and two just in this month of April. They have reported the situation to all the relevant public organizations, inspectors, security and emergency, and the Department of Employment, including Arona Ayuntamiento itself, the last which is the only one responsible for this situation. Still there is no solution. There are 18 people working just so that they don't lose their jobs and their employment rights even though they haven't been paid for nine months.

WE ASK FOR YOUR HELP. PLEASE! CALL OR GO TO THE CITIZEN ATTENTION OFFICE (SAC) OR LOCAL POLICE STATION WITHIN ARONA AND MAKE A DENUNCIA.

RESCUE THE ARONA RESCUERS!

YOU OR A FAMILY MEMBER MIGHT NEED THEM!

MANY OF THEM HAVE NOW BEEN LIVING FOR 5 MONTHS ON DONATIONS FROM TOURISTS. 8 HOURS A DAY ON THE LAS VISTAS PROMENADE. AND THE POLICE ALLOW IT! It seems to be due to lack of denucias too.

This is prohibited by Arona bylaws!

Moreover, PLEASE ALSO DENOUNCE ARONA'S EVACUATION AND EMERGENCY PLAN – IT IS NOW A LONG TIME SINCE IT WAS UPDATED!

We do not want to have to grieve over any tragedies.

Please pass this on. Call 010 or go to the local police within Arona and make a complaint. If outside Arona, call 922 761 600. If outside Spain, call 0034 922 761 600.

Make a denuncia. Help us. Help yourselves!

Thank you.

Janet

It looks like very good news for the lifeguards today. I am still to get full details, but can say for the moment that they have won a judgment on one of the lawsuits they had lodged. This was filed only on the 16th, so the judgment has been very rapid. It applies only to one of the 18 lifeguards, but it is understood that it refers "to the same case" as the others, whose lawsuits are yet to be heard. More as soon as I have it. JA

Janet

It was Veronica's own case that was judged on Tuesday, and that judgment came from the Juzgado Laboral itself in Santa Cruz. The Court found that Arona Ayuntamiento is indeed responsible for her salary, and as I said on 30 April, this will almost inevitably apply as well to all her colleagues when their cases come before the Court. Oh dear, Arona ... JA

Guanche

Sorry to put the dampers on this Janet. But I think we all know that having a judgement is one thing but getting the money is a completely different matter. I have two family members and a friend who have judgements in their favour and two are still waiting for payment after two years. The other one is only six months old so she has a long wait.
Did the judge embargo any council property do we know?

Janet

no info on that, G, I'm afraid ... but there are 17 more of these judgments coming, and I would imagine little love lost between the Courts and an Ayuntamiento shafting workers ...

Guanche

Quote from: Janet on Thu  2 May 2013, 19:43
no info on that, G, I'm afraid ... but there are 17 more of these judgments coming, and I would imagine little love lost between the Courts and an Ayuntamiento shafting workers ...

I'm trying to remember what happened to my brother in law (I don't want to trouble him by asking). He won the first case. His employer pleaded poverty. So next court hearing was to see why. Thats when the judge embargoes ALL the employers business property. I might be wrong but this meant that any money generated by the closed business , sale of assets, buildings, machinery, stock etc. went straight to the court administrators and then on to the workers that hadn't been paid. But even with that in place he still hasn't received a penny.
I know I'm being a bit doom and gloom, but I do hope the life guards get paid.

Janet

The lifeguards are still without their money, and today have arrived at work to find that the Las Vistas station has been burgled overnight. Seven walkie-talkies have been taken along with their control central, 2 defibrilators have gone, 10 rescue tubes ...