VAT refunds on purchases from the UK

Started by Nova, Wed 21 Nov 2012, 19:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

They call it "Cabildo tax", but it isn't imposed by the Cabildo, it's an import tax of which some revenue goes to the Cabildo.

Delderek

Quote from: Perikles on Thu 22 Nov 2012, 08:19
I'm afraid it's not quite like that, because there is another tax besides IGIC. When I bought my computer last year, I ordered it from Mainland Spain, saving the Spanish tax of around 100 euros. Then I paid IGIC 40 euros plus another 40 (?) euros for a tax with a name I can't remember. Cheaper, but not that much.

Fair comment, but if you are going to the UK, and get your Vat back before you travel, then put the item in your hand luggage, then no one is going to charge you anything on your arrival at TFS.

Briz

The company not charging vat needs proof of export.

If it was that easy I think everyone would buy a laptop before going on holiday.

Nova

Perikles, do you know how the Cabildo tax is calculated?  Is it necessarily equal to the IGIC?  I'm trying to calculate how much I might have to pay at this end if I get a laptop posted VAT free from the UK.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Quote from: Nova on Sat 24 Nov 2012, 14:32
Perikles, do you know how the Cabildo tax is calculated?  Is it necessarily equal to the IGIC?  I'm trying to calculate how much I might have to pay at this end if I get a laptop posted VAT free from the UK.

Sorry, can't remember, only that it was the same order of magnitude but not quite as much. I have the figures of 40 + 30 euros total on a computer costing 650 euros before tax.

Like all paperwork, it is very carefully filed away, and I can't find it.

Nova

Quote from: Perikles on Sat 24 Nov 2012, 14:43
I have the figures of 40 + 30 euros total on a computer costing 650 euros before tax.

I realised I never updated this thread!  If anyone is interested, I had to pay €121,66 when my computer came, made up of €100,16 IGIC and €21,50 Dua GAC - is that the "Cabildo" tax?  I also appear to have been taxed on the delivery charge which I didn't pay as it was free delivery, because my taxable base/declared value is made up of the price I paid plus £25 freight.

—————

Janet

Quote from: Nova on Sun 16 Dec 2012, 11:16Dua GAC - is that the "Cabildo" tax? 

Yes. The GAC is "Gobierno Autónomo de Canarias", but as I've said before "Cabildo" tax is a misnomer because it's a regional government tax some of which is then devolved to the Cabildo ...

Janet

P.S. the DUA is an Agencia Tributaria "Documento único administrativo".  :tiphat:

Nova

Ah... that was less than I expected it to be then.  Even with all the taxes in I figure I still saved about €200 on the UK VAT inclusive price  :tiphat:

—————