News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

El Hierro eruption

Started by aspasia, Sat 3 Mar 2012, 18:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

195 quakes yesterday. Today, we have confirmation that the epicentres are moving back towards the island. At lunchtime today, experts were talking about a slightly quieter day, with about 60 or so quakes overnight and this morning at a depth of 12-15km, the strongest of which was 3.3 on the Richter scale. At 1pm, however, there was a series of Richter 3 tremors, with two around 1.30pm registering 3.7 and 3.9 at a depth of 15km, inevitably being felt by the public. At 3pm, another series of 11 R3+ earthquakes was registered in just an hour. Involcan has released the following photo of the rockfalls in the El Golfo area described yesterday. JA

edit: within minutes of posting the above, the strongest earthquake yet has been felt, 4.6 on the Richter scale at a depth of 19km

Nova

Ooh it's getting exciting!!  :clap:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

The 4.6 was felt beyond the island, in La Palma and La Gomera and even on Tenerife, though experts say this is perfectly normal for such a size. It can stop getting any more exciting now ...

minesadorada

Clearly there is pressure under there trying to get out.  I don't foresee a major eruption (but then who has ever?) but it's interesting to note where the Canary vulcanism is currently centered.

I have researched as best I can via internet at the cause, but theories abound with no resolution.   The most convincing (to me) is that of a failed arm of the tritypical rift that made the Atlantic ocean - the 'plume' seems contraindicated by the lack of a raised local seabed.

Janet

Experts say that there are spectacular earthquakes going on at the moment in the sea west of El Hierro. Another strong earthquake, 4.4 on the Richter scale, has been registered which made chairs and light fittings move and windows rattle. Like the 4.6 a little earlier, it too was felt on other islands. JA

Janet

As of 6pm there is another series of strong earthquakes shaking El Hierro at the moment, still to be classified by IGN.

Janet

Pevolca has issued a yellow alert for the area of Pozo de la Salud towards the south.

Janet

and one lane of the Los Roquillos tunnel has been closed as a preventative measure.  Also closed are the roads between Cruce de La Tabla and Sabinosa, and the access to Playa La Madera.

Janet

Calm, followed by a series of strong earthquakes around 5.30am, followed by a calm spell, and then another series of  strong earthquakes from around 8am. That's been the pattern overnight and this morning, many of them over 3 on the Richter scale. Experts say that if these had occurred under land the island would be ringing like a bell. As it is, they are slightly out to sea off the south western tip of the island. I have little doubt that there will be further updates throughout today.

Michael

Is El Hierro visible from your house Janet?
[countdown=01,06,2021,13,30][/countdown] until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin: