News:

We have undergone a major upgrade. Please see post in the Announcements board for more details.

Main Menu

El Hierro eruption

Started by aspasia, Sat 3 Mar 2012, 18:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Perikles

Quote from: Janet on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 10:50
"It could carry on like this for a year, it could disappear completely, or we could have an eruption". That's the expert view

People actually get paid to say this. :gun07:

Nova

Quote from: Perikles on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 16:30
People actually get paid to say this. :gun07:

You're using the gun now, copycat  :D

I could do that job!  I think I'm quite good at talking without actually saying anything  :toothygrin:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Perikles

Quote from: Sabrinova on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 16:39
I could do that job!  I think I'm quite good at talking without actually saying anything  :toothygrin:

Of course you are, you are female.  :closet:

Nova

Quote from: Perikles on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 17:03
Of course you are, you are female.  :closet:

Watch it!  So's the volcano - you have no idea as to her intentions and can't tell whether she's going to erupt or just keep bubbling away quietly  :toothygrin:
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Janet

There have no earth tremors at all since yesterday morning and experts think the current swarm is therefore over. No doubt this will continue to bubble up periodically now until a proper eruption takes place - who knows when.

Perikles

Here, the chief geophysicist in the Canaries, somebody who seems to know what she is talking about, is complaining that the press are responsible for winding people up about this non-event in El Hierro, and ruining what little tourist industry they had.

Janet

She might be the chief geophysicist but she has no idea of tourism or psychology! Touristic chiefs on the island are milking it for what they can, of course, but the indications seem to be that it has attracted tourists hoping to see an eruption rather than driven them away!

Janet

PEVOLCA has now put El Hierro back onto green status, after little activity since 16 July. The alert is over – this time. JA

Janet

It's been rumbling away on and off for the past six or so weeks, the activity has never completely died away, but today there has been quite a swarm, with 40 earthquakes being registered. One oddity is that they appear to have been at two distinct depths, with shallow weak tremors in the El Golfo bay region, and deeper strong tremors moving south throughout the day and completely under land. Some experts think that this indicates that magma could be moving under the island. JA

Janet

yesterday's total was 61 tremors. Will be interesting to see if this dies away like the other minor swarms have done over the last couple of months, or whether it heralds a new development or departure.