ChalkCat uses cookies in order to function correctly.
To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept cookies from ChalkCat click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Granadilla megaport project

Offline Janet

The Granadilla megaport project
« on: Sat 3 Mar 2012, 18:10 »
Full steam ahead for Granadilla megaport as Court rejects environmentalists? appeal

Update 28 February 2012: The Canarian High Court has rejected the legal proceedings brought by the Asociación Tinerfeña de Amigos de la Naturaleza (ATAN) against the megaport. The action was started in April 2005, and since that time works have progressed considerably, with visible progress now in the construction of the new port’s dike. The [...]
Source: Full steam ahead for Granadilla megaport as Court rejects environmentalists? appeal
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Janet

« Reply #1 on: Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:12 »
Finally the final all clear as the Granadilla megaport has the final go-ahead. Those behind the works expressed their satisfaction and pleasure – the two words which were pronounced by Jaime González Cejas, mayor of Granadilla himself at a press conference to announce that all obstacles, both technical and legal, had been resolved. Works on the “extraordinary economic motor” for south Tenerife are imminent, and are expected to be completed some time in 2015. JA

Offline Myrtle Hogan-Lance

• Forum Turtle
« Reply #2 on: Sat 23 Mar 2013, 15:30 »
I wish they would redirect the funds to the TF-1.

Offline Janet

« Reply #3 on: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 11:01 »
And now the money is in place too. The Tenerife Ports Authority confirmed yesterday that the European Commission has approved the money, some €67m representing 27.5 per cent of the cost of the project. €5m has already been advanced, and the rest will be here later this year. Approval was granted on Tuesday 24th, and there is now nothing in the way - not financial, environmental, or legal - of the megaport. JA

Offline Delderek

• If you can't beat them!
  • Be extra kind to me, I am really getting on a bit
« Reply #4 on: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 11:58 »
And now the money is in place too. The Tenerife Ports Authority confirmed yesterday that the European Commission has approved the money, some €67m representing 27.5 per cent of the cost of the project. €5m has already been advanced, and the rest will be here later this year. Approval was granted on Tuesday 24th, and there is now nothing in the way - not financial, environmental, or legal - of the megaport. JA

Except perhaps, Canarian Building Methods :-[

Offline poker

Re: The Granadilla megaport project
« Reply #5 on: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 22:40 »
Except perhaps, Canarian Building Methods :-[
Thats nothing compaired to the Canarian pocketing Methods . Im sure the EU funding wont be enouf by the time its nearly finished . ( its always nearly finished here )

Offline Janet

« Reply #6 on: Sat 4 Nov 2017, 01:09 »
from my website ...

This post has been eight years in the making, and its subject matter has occupied many years more than that. It has seen court action and environmental protests about underwater grasses and overground beetles, a stand-off about vested and conflicting financial and political interests, and even a debate over the very nature of “progress” itself, but finally, at long last, the Granadilla megaport works are finished.

Puertos de Tenerife say that the project was officially signed off in a formal ceremony yesterday morning with the Ministerio de Fomento. The port is now open, and will progressively become a full complement to Santa Cruz docks, increasingly so as the finishing works on the second section of the Ribera Quay will provide a further 160m of docking space. In total, the works have cost just over €145m, €67m of which has come from the EU Cohesion Fund.

Yesterday’s opening ceremony was attended by the president of the Santa Cruz Ports Authority, former Tenerife president Ricardo Melchior, who said that the new port was already organizing practical and mooring logistics, and contracting personnel, etc., to be able to service Granadilla’s first berths. These are now confirmed to include oil rigs undergoing repair and maintenance, adding to the numbers already regularly seen in Santa Cruz itself.

Offline Janet

« Reply #7 on: Tue 21 Nov 2017, 11:04 »
The first oil rig has arrived at Granadilla to initiate the megaport’s works. The rig, West Leo, came in from Santa Cruz this morning, and Puertos de Tenerife said that its arrival signalled a new era of activities in Tenerife’s harbours, one that will bring huge economic benefits for the island.

Offline Janet

« Reply #8 on: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 18:42 »
Environmental lobbyists are going to have a field day with this! The following is from my website (link direct to post HERE) which is where I'll post updates.

The Canarian Government has activated its Marine Contamination Contingency Plan (PECMAR) after a fuel spill off the coast of Granadilla. Granadilla Ayuntamiento closed playa de la Tejita as a preventative measure after the Plan was activated by the regional Government just before 6pm this evening, and work is ongoing to establish the extent of the spill which has already reached the Espacio Natural Protegido (Protected Natural Space) of Montaña Roja. Initial analysis suggest that the spill is of a “light fuel” from a CEPSA refuelling point for boats serving TFS. The spill is currently continuing.

Offline Marion

• Lurker - I'm reading over your shoulder
« Reply #9 on: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 19:16 »
Didn’t take long got the first potential environmental disaster.
"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."

- Diane Ackerman