ChalkCat uses cookies in order to function correctly.
To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept cookies from ChalkCat click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Malpaís de la Rasca

Offline Nova

• Forum Geek
  • Say something nice!
Malpaís de la Rasca
« on: Mon 14 May 2018, 10:53 »
I've lived in Palm Mar for over four years but I've never properly explored the huge nature reserve we have right next door!  So yesterday evening, after the sun had lost most of its heat, I set out to the footpath that begins just outside the Palm Mar arch to see where it leads.  It was a much longer walk than I anticipated and I ended up rushing to get back before dark - I really didn't like the idea of being out in the Badlands on my own in the dark  :-X  I managed it - just - and walked 3km altogether.  Here are the pics I took  :tiphat:

This is the point where I realised it was going to be a longer walk than I expected  :giggle:

12054-0

A few more steps and turning back didn't look very appealing either  :giggle:

12056-1

So I carried on even though it was starting to get dark...

12058-2

Looking back the way I'd come just after I had taken a much rougher footpath that branched off to the right of the main path:

12060-3

The rough footpath meandered and climbed following the line of the volcanic hills, crossing what looked like old drainage channels.  After a while I reached the top of a ridge and saw the first glimpse of Palm Mar below (you can see Las Americas in the distance):

12062-4

The footpath then descended steeply down the side of Paraíso Fase I, the complex next door, and I made it home with the last glow of the setting sun  :great:

12064-5

I didn't realise I had to start the GPS on my mobile app manually before I started so unfortunately my phone didn't log the route as I walked it, but I plotted it out on Google Maps when I got home so this is the route I figure I took:

12066-6

According to the interwebs, Malpaís de la Rasca covers about 315 hectares so I barely scratched a corner of it.  I'll set out earlier another day and aim for the lighthouse.
If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Offline Hepa

Re: Malpaís de la Rasca
« Reply #1 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 12:11 »
Sounds like you need a big  dog. I am envious, my ankles are worn out so walking distances becomes too difficult.

Offline Malteser Monkey

• Toto's Little helper !
« Reply #2 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 13:08 »
Love that Nova mate

Can you walk to LC from PM ??

Offline Myrtle Hogan-Lance

• Forum Turtle
« Reply #3 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 13:31 »
Were there any animals besides lizards?

Offline macdonald5

• Sad not Holiday queen for now😩
« Reply #4 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 13:38 »
Can you borrow a friendly dog to keep you company @Nova ?
Definitely think you must get home before dark ....Looks super walk

Offline Nova

• Forum Geek
  • Say something nice!
« Reply #5 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 15:37 »
Were there any animals besides lizards?

I didn't see any fauna at all - not even a lizard!  Though I'm sure the area must be swarming with them.  It was so quiet out there... apart from the wind on my ears it was completely silent, as though I were the only living thing for miles.

Love that Nova mate

Can you walk to LC from PM ??

Yes, you can, but I believe it involves going along the top of the cliff so it's quite a climb.  If I had continued along the main path instead of branching off right to get home, I could have eventually ended up in Las Galletas.  That's quite a popular walk, from Palm Mar to Las Galletas past the lighthouse.

Can you borrow a friendly dog to keep you company @Nova ?
Definitely think you must get home before dark ....Looks super walk

I definitely would have liked a dog with me last night!  I don't know of anybody I could borrow one from though.  I'd get a dog myself if my apartment had a garden.

—————

Offline NAH

• Code Wizard ;
« Reply #6 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 20:06 »
Thanks for the photos @Nova. Looks like some fantastic walks around that area, but then again there is most places in Tenerife once you get off the beaten track.
Never ride faster than your angel can fly.

Offline Anne 2009

« Reply #7 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 20:39 »
Lovely photos @Nova   :)

Offline Skeggy

« Reply #8 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 21:06 »
Be careful out there. The last time we walked the path we met a gentleman wearing nothing but a baseball cap and a rucksack.

Offline Nova

• Forum Geek
  • Say something nice!
« Reply #9 on: Mon 14 May 2018, 21:16 »
Be careful out there. The last time we walked the path we met a gentleman wearing nothing but a baseball cap and a rucksack.

How old was he??  :whistle:

:giggle:

I certainly wouldn't try walking beyond the lighthouse on my own as the path to Las Galletas has quite a reputation for muggings.  Even going to the lighthouse I think I would leave my purse at home and just take my old mobile.  And maybe my pepper spray.

—————