ChalkCat uses cookies in order to function correctly.
To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept cookies from ChalkCat click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fined 1,125 euros for playing cricket in Barcelona

Offline Perikles

• Grammar Police
  • cacoēthes fodiendī
Fined 1,125 euros for playing cricket in Barcelona
« on: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 08:37 »
:link:

They have the right idea. Somebody fined for playing cricket in the local square. Some may think this is excessive, but anybody who has been hit by a cricket ball won't think so. Cricket is a dangerous game - cricket balls are very heavy and hurt. Not only that, there is a high risk of dying of boredom when 1) you are in the batting team but not batting, which is almost everybody, 2) fielder where nobody ever hits the ball and 3) spectator.
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Offline Michael

• Domestic god.
« Reply #1 on: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 09:27 »
Quite right too. It's the only game where i've ever witnessed one of the players fast asleep.  :rofl:
 until I return to Tenerife! :toothygrin:

Offline Myrtle Hogan-Lance

• Forum Turtle
« Reply #2 on: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 10:20 »
Cricket is a fascinating game which excels when it gets to the end of Day 5 and you simply do not know which way the match will go.

That will probably not be the case in Pak vs Aus where it is Day 4 in Dubai and Pak lead by 292 runs with 9 wickets in hand. 

As to hitting a cricket ball around a public square, that is just not cricket and Perikles's objections based on the danger are very valid.  The fine was a bit heavy handed though.

Offline Perikles

• Grammar Police
  • cacoēthes fodiendī
« Reply #3 on: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:05 »
Cricket is a fascinating game which excels when it gets to the end of Day 5 and you simply do not know which way the match will go.

..or you have lost the will to live, because you have lost 4 days of your life waiting for that 5th day, when rain stops play.  :cheesy:
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Offline Myrtle Hogan-Lance

• Forum Turtle
« Reply #4 on: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:27 »
Ah yes the dreaded 'rains stops play' during the evening session on Day 5.  It can be cause for elation or grievance.  The tension remains high.  Everyone is on a knife's edge.  Will it?  Won't it? 

Nothing quite like it.

Offline Michael

• Domestic god.
« Reply #5 on: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:32 »
Ah yes the dreaded 'rains stops play' during the evening session on Day 5.  It can be cause for elation or grievance.  The tension remains high.  Everyone is on a knife's edge.  Will it?  Won't it? 

Nothing quite like it.

I can think of a few things like watching paint dry or watching the skin form on porridge.  :giggle:

Offline Perikles

• Grammar Police
  • cacoēthes fodiendī
« Reply #6 on: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:39 »
I can think of a few things like watching paint dry or watching the skin form on porridge. 

... or changing a light bulb  :toothygrin:
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum

Offline Michael

• Domestic god.
« Reply #7 on: Sat 25 Oct 2014, 12:53 »
... or changing a light bulb  :toothygrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: