ChalkCat uses cookies in order to function correctly.
To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept cookies from ChalkCat click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Basque Country

Offline Janet

The Basque Country
« on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 18:28 »
I admit to knowing virtually nothing about the Basque Country, and would probably identify it more with the disbanded terrorist group ETA than anything else! But now I'm about to start finding out about it seeing as Nova's booked a four day break there for the two of us for her birthday next year!

So ... who knows what about the Basque Country?

Wiki tells me that it is one of Spain's "autonomous communities", so like the Canaries, or Andalusia, or Madrid, or Catalonia ... and like them all, it has "provinces" ... the Canaries has two, the eastern province (Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura & Lanzarote) and the western one (Tenerife, La Gomera, La Palma and El Hierro). The Basque Country has three provinces - Álava, Biscay and Gipuzkoa - and we'll be staying in the capital of Alva province, which is also the capital of the whole region - Vitoria-Gasteiz.

Two main cities are Bilbao and San Sebastián ... there's a famous film festival, like Cannes, in San Sebastián, and I believe they're both on the coast, whereas Vitoria-Gasteiz is inland. 

I think the main sort of food is fish ...

And there's a Guggenheim museum in Bilbao ...

Anyone know ANYTHING else??!

:toothygrin:
One must have sunshine, freedom and flowers. Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Perikles

• Grammar Police
  • cacoēthes fodiendī
Re: The Basque Country
« Reply #1 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 18:30 »

Anyone know ANYTHING else??!

One obvious feature is their very unusual language, and English has stolen exactly one word from it. Any guesses?
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Offline Nova

• Forum Geek
  • Say something nice!
« Reply #2 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 18:39 »
I know the numbers 1 - 10.  I spell them as I was taught them, which is probably only phonetic:

bat, bi, hiru, lau, bost, sei, saspi, sortei, bederatei, amar.  We shall see how useful that really is  :giggle:

I know La Oreja de Van Gogh is from San Sebastián!  :D

If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know amazing.

—————
My other website: verygomez.com
Instagram: novahowardofficial

Offline Anne 2009

« Reply #3 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 18:50 »
I had to google it too. It looks like there's plenty to see. Museum, cathedral etc. I hope we get pics  :)

Offline macdonald5

• Sad not Holiday queen for now😩
« Reply #4 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 18:58 »
One obvious feature is their very unusual language, and English has stolen exactly one word from it. Any guesses?

Anchovy ??
We met two 'poolside friends '  in Tenerife , they were from San Sebastián ,he was retired English tutor
With my basic Spanish sand his decent English we discussed some Basque language and anchovy was spoken about

Offline Perikles

• Grammar Police
  • cacoēthes fodiendī
« Reply #5 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 19:32 »
Anchovy ??
We met two 'poolside friends '  in Tenerife , they were from San Sebastián ,he was retired English tutor
With my basic Spanish sand his decent English we discussed some Basque language and anchovy was spoken about

It's not certain, but the Basque antxu might have been imported from Latin anyway. Not the word I was thinking of.
Джереми. Prurio ergo sum
κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα μναμοσύνα σέθεν ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον• οὐ γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας•

Offline Myrtle Hogan-Lance

• Forum Turtle
« Reply #6 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 21:18 »
I stayed at a place in Bilbao on the same side of the river as I took this picture of the Guggenheim from.

The Guggenheim is as wonderful outside as in.  There is a flower/plant structure, The Puppy, which was supposed to be a temporary fixture but has had to stay.  Jeff Koons is the artist, and this is not my photo.

Wander around the museum as long as you can before going inside.  Inside, there are may exhibits and they change often.  I really love this museum.

Wander around Bilbao and you will find all manner of bars and restaurants.

Travel south and you are in La Rioja (alta), capital of which is Haro.  Much fine wine comes from there including CVNE.  I would recommend staying in Haro (stayed in a place which I don't think was a Parador but was a huge old stone building.  Anyplace in Haro is great to eat and drink.

Enjoy the vineyards, enjoy the scenery, enjoy everything in la Rioja!

Offline Malteser Monkey

• Toto's Little helper !
« Reply #7 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 21:56 »

Yo baby

Offline Malteser Monkey

• Toto's Little helper !
« Reply #8 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 21:59 »
@Perikles

I get you so it's one of those kinda holidays eh @Nova

Yes ok back from the pub outing :smileys-cheers-222480:

Offline Medman

• Not bad for a man of my age
« Reply #9 on: Fri 8 Sep 2017, 23:25 »